Soft hyphens are not recognized

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Tester
Expert

Soft hyphens are not recognized

Post by Tester »

Hello,

I already mentioned this issue yesterday in BitsDuJour. In the meantime I bought a license and as I have an additional question I would like to come back to the matter here in the Forum too:

When I paste a text from a MS Word document (.doc file) and also when I import a .rtf file as a note, EssentialPIM does not recognize (respectively ignores) soft hyphens. That means that these hyphens are not only visible when they separate the syllables of a word at a line break. They can be seen also when the word is positioned somewhere within the line and not at its end.

For example: The word "international" in EPIM is always displayed as "inter-national" whenever in the .doc or .rtf file a soft hyphen was set between "inter" and "national".

Your team was already so friendly to tell at BitsDuJour that you will check this out. But I would need now the following additional information:

I plan to import a lot of .rtf files into EPIM. Can a fix of the issue have an effect also on already existing notes in EPIM? Or will this effect only apply to contents created after the fix?

In the first case I could already start to import the files. In the second case it would be better for me to wait with the import until the fix is released in order to avoid the necessity to remove thousands of visible soft hyphens manually. :wink:

Thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Soft hyphens are not recognized

Post by admin »

I think it's going to work for the newly imported files only. May I ask you to forward me one of your RTF files via PM just in case, so that we could check if the problem is/could be fixed?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

admin wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:58 pm I think it's going to work for the newly imported files only.
No problem. I will wait with the import.
admin wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:58 pm May I ask you to forward me one of your RTF files via PM just in case, so that we could check if the problem is/could be fixed?
Yes. I will send it now.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you! Will check if this can be addressed.
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

I just wanted to ask if there is any progress in this matter. I just updated to version 9.10.1 and the issue still exists.

The practical problem for me is that it makes no sense to start to import my files (rtf) because a possible fix presumably would not affect notes already existing in EPIM:
admin wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:58 pm I think it's going to work for the newly imported files only.
So practically I cannot use EPIM for months now and instead I still have to continue to work with MyInfo (from which I plan to import).

Thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There's no easy fix to this, unfortunately. So we still have the issue in the internal to do list.