No "read-only" field...

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

bobmac1547
Guru

No "read-only" field...

Post by bobmac1547 »

I don't see a "read-only" field anywhere in my application (Win10-64, EPIM Pro 9.75)

I do see screen shots of a read-only field in the Help file, but it does not display in my installation.

Is there a setting I am missing?

Thanks...
I measure a good day by how little I fell behind.

Quick! Hire a teenager while they still know everything!
admin
Site Admin

Re: No "read-only" field...

Post by admin »

Every item in EPIM (except for mail) can be marked as read-only either by right clicking on it in the list view or through its editing dialog window. Please forward us a screenshot of what you see on your side. Thanks.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

This is somewhat öff-topic, but
Every item in EPIM (except for mail) can be marked as read-only
- this is exactly what I´m missing. At least for POP3, a read only feature! In Thunderbird I can mark emails as read-only, when I try to delete a read-only mail, I get a warning popup-note "do you really want to delete this mail?".
There are many very important mails, for example the EPIM-key mail, which I want NOT to delete. In EPIM I only can tag them, for example red. Read only would be an additional safety for not loosing such mails.
bobmac1547
Guru

Post by bobmac1547 »

Here's a screenshot
2021-04-11 EPIM appointment screenshot.png

Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

bobmac1547 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:09 am I don't see a "read-only" field anywhere in my application (Win10-64, EPIM Pro 9.75)
According to your screenshot the field (checkbox) is in the upper right corner of the window. Obviously they changed its position compared with the screenshot in the help file where it is in the (grey) left part of the window. :wink:
Last edited by Tester on Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobmac1547
Guru

Post by bobmac1547 »

Arrrergggghhhhh..

Thanks…

Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

You are welcome. :mrgreen:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

a8907433, all deleted messages end up in the Deleted Items folder. So you shouldn't be able to delete something unwanted completely right away by mistake.

On the other hand, if there's more supporters of the feature, we will surely consider it for implementation.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

@admin: deleting mails, sometimes many a day, works without warning message. just delete it. Then, when emptying trash, you got a warning message "do you really want...."- but I really want to delete 20 mails, yes! So, it needs a definite warning "do you really want to delete THIS message?" if it is read only! (What else is the use for read only!!??)

And, I think, democracy is a good thing, but not every wish to have something or to not have something from a majority is a good whish! Sometime there have to be simple the usefull things (at least optional!) Of course, this costs development time, but I do not think, anyone would complain about a usefull feature if it is conditional. And, I think, there certain are (many) users, which will never post in a forum or write an email to the developers. Just as many people won´t go to an election. So, propably there are many users having deleted accidental at some time, but would not complain or write to the developers.
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

I think the real issue with this feature is that hardly anyone would actually find it / look for it, because it's not a common email feature, so only the people here on the forum and avid readers of the change log are likely to use it. Which is why it would make sense to wait to see if it gets support.

One issue with general people finding it, is that, "read-only" sounds ... odd because email is already "read-only" you can't freely edit it. Even in windows you can delete read-only files you just can't edit them.