IMAP with last 90 days on server and the rest offline on local storage

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Telesto
Experienced

IMAP with last 90 days on server and the rest offline on local storage

Post by Telesto »

I'm having a habit of 'archiving' my whole e-mail history. Only that much goes to trash. Which means I'm building up pretty big collection of e-mails over the years. With the luxury that inbox sizes keep expanding; so never run into 'hard' wall.

However there a some reasons to have 'most recent' stuff in IMAP online and the older stuff locally.
* some inboxes are still 'restricted' to simply 250/500 MB.
* Setting up new e-mail client having to pull my whole history (and no I don't need that on all my devices)
* Disliking the idea of having a internet archive in the cloud (some might consider building a user profile based on e-mail history; or some kind of time line).

I'm not into to the documentation of IMAP. Mostly everything works in sync. So deleting on client means deletion on the server. However is there also option to 'only' delete on the server and keep those locally.

So I kind of desire a local setup holds 'recent' (on server, say last 90 days) + old deleted from server but still present in EssentialPIM. However is this possible at all? Ideally with an option to 're-store' some old (of exclude some message from deleting) Or visa versa direct deletion of certain messages from the imap server (you have e-mail filter already).
admin
Site Admin

Re: IMAP with last 90 days on server and the rest offline on local storage

Post by admin »

This sounds like a new option and we have something like this in the plans for implementation. Will probably increase its priority as it sounds like many users will benefit from having it.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Telesto
Experienced

Post by Telesto »

I even forgot to mention
* Account - web* mail - hacking. Makes a difference of having access to 90 days, or whole history
* Connection stability etc.

In somewhat of a paranoia mode today :wink:

And well, local mode equals 'offline' mode. And prefer to have access to my 'e-mails' and not depending on the internet/cloud too much. Bit more back to the 'old' disconnected days.

The web becomes more and more a 'ware zone'. Attacks on webservices & infra structure (waiting for black-out to happen). Which means or mail provider being down, or ISP, DNS whatever.. And well the analytic tendency's -big data - you can do productive/ good things, but also lots of evil/ nasty stuff.

In summary I start seeing more and more risks. But well, noticed that there is even discussion about how secure e-mail is. Putting plain text around through number of hubs. Doesn't have point to point encryption, yet
Telesto
Experienced

Post by Telesto »

Related to e-mail security. This kind of interesting https://github.com/lavabit/magma