OAuth2 support for Mail Accounts

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

amijo
Novice

OAuth2 support for Mail Accounts

Post by amijo »

Hello.

Given new security requirements, now I have to use OAuth2 to authenticate access to one of the IMAP accounts that I have set up in EPIM. EPIM does not have this option yet.

The account is in fact an Exchange account using Office 365. I have found this article from Microsoft discussing their OAuth2 implementation in Exchange: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/o ... ge-online/

Max, is it possible to provide OAuth2 support for mail accounts? My Thunderbird does support it (I have just had to enable it to maintain access to this same account from there).

Thanks in advance.
admin
Site Admin

Re: OAuth2 support for Mail Accounts

Post by admin »

OAuth 2.0 authentication has been supported by EPIM for quite a number of years already. Although, native Exchange email support will be added into EPIM 10.0. What you can do now is to add an IMAP Office 365 mail account into EPIM and it should work regardless of your authentication method.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
amijo
Novice

Post by amijo »

I know that there is OAuth 2.0 support, and I have been using it for a while for calendar sync, for instance. But not for email, at least in the way that I see now being supported by Thunderbird. As I said I have been checking my email from both TB and EPIM for some years. But all of a sudden it stopped working. In TB I had to resort to OAuth2 authentication, that correctly triggers the 2FA process and eventually allows me to get my email. In EPIM there is not anything similar for EMAIL, so the 2FA process is not triggered and my email is no longer accessible from EPIM. That was the point of the post.
If native Exchange support is going to be added in 10.0, then that will hopefully allow me again to access my email from EPIM. Are there approximate dates for that release?
Thank you again.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OAuth works for email accounts ending with outlook.com, live.com, etc., (basically all the general MS domains). It seems you're using a custom one with your Office 365 setup. Will make necessary changes in the upcoming EPIM 9.9 version (will probably be released in a week or two). Thanks!

PS Let me know if you'd like to check the new version out earlier, while it's still in Beta, will forward you instructions.
amijo
Novice

Post by amijo »

Yes, my email address is a custom one, although it uses standard MS Office 365 services.

If I may help with early checking of the beta version, please let me know how, of course.

Thank you again.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sure, will do once we implement all the needed changes. Thanks!
amijo
Novice

Post by amijo »

I have just installed the new 9.9 version but my email account does not yet trigger the 2FA process and therefore I can not access my O365 server. I do not know if the underlying process has changed in EPIM, but the results seem the same than they were in previous versions. If I may help somehow to provide more information and try to fix this, please let me know.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please create a new database file (File->New->EPIM Data File) and add your O365 account into it. Will it work?
amijo
Novice

Post by amijo »

Nope, unfortunately not. The email sync dialog appears saying 'Login failed' and not launching the authentication process.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The email sync dialog appears only after the email account has been added. So were you able to add it successfully into a newly created EPIM 9.9 database file?
amijo
Novice

Post by amijo »

Yes, I can add the account by specifying the incoming / outgoing server and account name details. But it will not connect to the server.

Thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When you're authorized via OAuth, there's no need to specify incoming/outgoing mail servers. Please PM me with the email address you're trying to add, will check it out on our side.
Denray

Post by Denray »

I am having the same problem as some earlier posters. Just upgraded to 9.9.7 Pro and I would like to transition my mail to EPIM. I cannot setup a new POP3 account that needs Oauth2. My email address is a custom one hosted by gmail but I am with a PC club and all mail is forwarded to the club's own domain. Normal gmail settings are used in my current Thunderbird POP setup with Oauth2. Assistance would be appreciated as this is holding up my transition. FYI I have previously setup a POP account in EPIM but this was in the days before Oauth2 became necessary. Thanks in anticipation.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What's the email address you're trying to setup? We basically need a domain name to check.
Denray

Post by Denray »

Thanks for your prompt response. The email I am trying to setup is dstreet@melbpc.org.au.