Question re- trying to have custom sequence-order of Groups

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Frank-H
Experienced

Question re- trying to have custom sequence-order of Groups

Post by Frank-H »

Creating multiple contact Groups, right-clicking shows "arrange by", name (alphabetical), and "custom" or modified.

Unless I'm missing something, there is no custom? You can't choose the order? Dragging & Dropping seems only to put as "child" under another group.

I'm doing a work-around of "a Main group" "b New members" or whatever, so I can have groups be in the order I want.

Is there a better way to do this? Found nothing in help files or forum search on this. Thanks!
Keldi
Guru

Re: Question re- trying to have custom sequence-order of Groups

Post by Keldi »

You can drag a group between two other groups, not onto another group (which makes it a child).
An animated GIF in the attachments.
Attachments
epim_groups-custom-order.gif
epim_groups-custom-order.gif (15.46 KiB) Viewed 504 times
Frank-H
Experienced

Post by Frank-H »

Keldi thank you for the reply. I'm on Windows 10, big monitor, latest 9.9.6 Pro version, "for me", there is no in-between groups.

Attempting to drag a group to a different location, as I pass by group to group, each group "clicks" to being highlighted, one to the next, immediately, with no pause or break possible, even dragging slowly... What I see and experience is not what your graphic shows...
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

I believe the trick here is to stay away from the group names when dragging.

If I drag a group over the names of other groups, the "in-between" line to place the group doesn't show up:

epim_groups-custom-order2.gif
epim_groups-custom-order2.gif (8.77 KiB) Viewed 477 times

But when I drag to the left or to the right of the text, I can drop it between other groups:

epim_groups-custom-order3.gif
epim_groups-custom-order3.gif (12.25 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Frank-H
Experienced

Post by Frank-H »

Keldi, You Are Correct, that process (though a bit unconventional), "drag but outside areas where the group name / text is", Does Work.

By usual convention, if there isn't space "available" to drag & drop to "between" items, it seems a no-go. But what you expressed, dragging into open space "outside / beyond text areas", that worked... Thank You!