WinEPIM makes a break, when starting

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

poet-man
Guru

WinEPIM makes a break, when starting

Post by poet-man »

Hi fellows,

maybe some can confirm (was mentioned quite a time ago, but this seems to be unsolved).

When starting WinEPIM, one cannot do anything, for quite a time (I presume, that mails are synced in background, but cannot confirm).
Clicking on any menu (i.e. tools), will show no reaction. Reaction will come quite a while afterwards (say 15 seconds).
Clicking on mail in navigation panel, will show same behaviour. When mail modul comes up finally, clicking on a mail to read, will need another quite a time, until content is shown in window.

Is this something, that can be handled somehow, so that no breaks are there or do I have to live with it?

Thanks.
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
scooterg

Re: WinEPIM makes a break, when starting

Post by scooterg »

Hi Poet-man,

I don't think the problem you are experiencing is due to WinPIM. Are you using a regular hard drive and not an SSD? Have you checked to see if your hard drive is healthy. I am in tech support. I have seen more problems with regular hard drives. Regular hard drives need to be defragged. SSD drives need to be trimmed but it will be much faster than a regular hard drive. There are always delays with a regular hard drive. With an SSD drive, programs just pop. The other thing you may want to check is do you have many programs running in the background. If any are resource hogs that will slow down any execution of a program. I would check out those things before saying that it is a problem with WinPIM.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

The thing is, that I do experience this with WinEPIM only. My harddrive is healthy and no progs in background.
Nevertheless a SSD is a good idea in generell. But thats another story.
As to the subject here, it is a fact, that starting epim again shortly, the effect will not appear, which could mean that background actions like syncing took place recently and are not needed again now?
But of course defrag isnt a bad idea.
Thanks.
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Likely most of the data is still cached in RAM and therefore restarting the program looks faster. Synchronizations are executed in their own streams and shouldn't affect overall performance much.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

I will have an SSD soon. Will check, what that means for the reported "issue".

So far this is standard with me, that this "sync stream" affects starting procedure very very much. NEVER had it not present (except when restarting)
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

One more detail ...
Seems that defrag had an effect.
At least next start went without hesitation. Will have a steady look on that and report any changes.

Thanks to everybody for help.