time zone problem with google calendar

Please post your suggestions, bug reports, ideas regarding synchronization here
james3
Novice

time zone problem with google calendar

Post by james3 »

Hi guys,

I 'm very disappointed at the support of null reply on my 3 bug-report posts in board '中文' (chinese) one month ago. I should post them in english at all.
I have to spend hours and hours to swap the first name and last name one by one manually for the correct synchronization between EssentialPIM and Google contacts.
But I can't resolve the time zone problem myself.

The time zone problem is:
When I synchronize calendar to google , some items get time zone wrong .
For example, 8:00am in EPIM but 4:00pm in Google calendar. The gap is just what the locale GMT+8 which is the time zone of my place.
But not all items wrong. others are OK with the correct time.
I found that the correct items were created by EssentialPIM portable free edition 3.0.4 and the wrong items were created by EssentialPIM portable pro edition 4.0.2 and 4.2 .
I have purchased a key and upgrade the epim free edition to pro because I love this software and want use it with my android phone. However, this issue let it useless.

Please any one help me !

Thanks a lot.
Поддержка
Guru

Re: time zone problem with google calendar

Post by Поддержка »

Hello,

thank you for the post. My Chinese is not so good (actually it is non-existant), thus I could not answer you at the Chinese board. I will try to help you here:
- Names. It would be nice if you could elaborate some details, what was the problem so that you had to swap First/Last names
- Calendar zones. Please check, it is important- does Google calendar have the same timezone as your computer where you are using EPIM? In most cases the problem arises from there (wrong timezone at Google calendar)
james3
Novice

Post by james3 »

Thank you, Поддержка

let me explain more detail :

-Names.
actually it's translation problem at first. In western, the name order is name-surname a.k.a first name-last name and in some eastern country (like china, japan) the name order is surname-name which means last name-first name. In chinese, '姓' means surname (last name) and '名' means name(first name). This is correct translation. In chinese edition of epim , however, the first name title was translate to '姓' and the last name title was translate to '名' , it's totally reversed. chinese people who don't use english as default language like me is misleaded by the translation then store name to last name and surname to first name in contacts.
If I only use epim on pc, it 's no problem. it's looks like fine in chinese because surname-name is the chinese name order. I think that's why the developer just do translation at this way so that they don't need modify the program to fit the eastern name order .
But when I synchronize contact to google, as you know google use the correct name order without this issue, then all first name-last name are reversed in google contacts and then android phone.

-Calendar zones.
the computer and google timezone are same. both are GMT+8.
If I change google timezone to GMT+0 and computer still GMT+8, then all items created by EssentialPIM portable pro edition 4.0.2 and 4.2 are looks as the same time , but all items created by EssentialPIM portable free edition 3.0.4 then appear 8 hours earlier.
james3
Novice

Post by james3 »

Is it very hard or rarely issue ?
Nobody met the similar problem ?
any help ?
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Free version does not synchronize with Google. And 3.0.4 is very old. So what version do you actually have? In any case, upgrade to latest 4.21
Maxim,
EPIM Team
james3
Novice

Post by james3 »

Thank you Max.

The version I used now is 4.2 that the setup files are released at 27th, May.
As I said in my first post, my epim has upgraded from free version/3.0.4 to pro version/4.0.2, the time is in April when I get the key and upgrade again from pro/4.0.2 to pro/4.2 in May.
So the calendar items created by free/3.0.4 are still in the database after upgrading and new items created by pro/4.0.2 and pro/4.2 are appended to the database also.
The problem I met is , when I synchronize calendar with google via pro/4.2, the old items from free/3.0.4 and new items from pro/4.x in the same database are displayed in different ways on google calendar. old items are correct and new ones get GMT gaps.
I don't know what lead to this issue , but I 'm sure it's relative to different epim versions.
dadniayesa

Post by dadniayesa »

Hi, james. I am also using 4.2 version, but so far, i haven't encountered any problem. I hope you have resolved your issues with it.
Jurenka

Post by Jurenka »

I do have the exact sme problem. But I am from Germany - so time difference are two hours = gmt+2.

I treid now already for four hours to get the problem solved. Deleted google calenders, android app, checked the time zone in google and my computer, checked the version of epim and and and

any other idea? PLEASE!!
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Jurenka wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:57 am I do have the exact sme problem. But I am from Germany - so time difference are two hours = gmt+2.

I treid now already for four hours to get the problem solved. Deleted google calenders, android app, checked the time zone in google and my computer, checked the version of epim and and and

any other idea? PLEASE!!
Hello,

please describe the issue in more details, preferably with screenshots. If that's EPIM<-> Google sync- then please double check that your Google calendar setting has the same timezone.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Jurenka

Post by Jurenka »

I just found a problem I haven't been aware of: There aretwo places to put in the timezone in google. One general and one for the specific calender. Correcting that helped.

I still get a mess (doubling the appointments) whem I am changing a category in my cellphone.