SyncML synchronization of contacts does not work

Please post your suggestions, bug reports, ideas regarding synchronization here
lk
Guru

SyncML synchronization of contacts does not work

Post by lk »

Hello!

I'm trying to set up a SyncML synchronization with a local Funambol server on my PC (Windows XP Pro SP3) in order to synchronize my appointments and contacts with my Nokia E63 mobile phone. The synchronization of the appointments seems to work, but no contacts are getting synchronized. (I can check this on Funambol's "Web Demo Client", the contacts do not appear here, so it's not the fault of my mobile phone.)

However, if I add new contacts im EPIM, they are synchronized. Just the contacts which have been present in my database befor I set up the synchronization aren't transferred to the server. Obviously, it's not a networking or authentification problem but a problem within EPIM, perhaps the application believes that the contacts are already synchronized while there aren't. (EPIM Pro 4.54)

Any ideas?

lk
lk
Guru

Re: SyncML synchronization of contacts does not work

Post by lk »

Okay, finally I got it working, but it seems to be a bug in the synchronization module of EPIM:

I don't want to have all of my contacts synchronized to my mobile phone, just some of them. So I set the status of all those items I don't want to synchronize to "Private" and made sure that the option "Include private items in export/synchronization" is not checked. When I set up the synchronization, all of my contacts were set to "Public", I changed this settings for many contacts to "Private", hoping that the untouched ones would be synchronized, but no contact has been synced at all (as described in my first posting), neither the "private" nor the "public" ones. At some time I changed the status of a contact from "Public" to "Private" and back to "Public" - and from this time synchronization worked for this contact! So I did this for all of my contacts I want to have synchronized, and bingo - everything seems to be okay now.

Some more observations which look like bugs:
  • If I change a detail of one of the contacts and do a resync, not just this one contact gets resynced but most of my appointments as well (!) If I do a resync without changing anything in my contacts, nothing happens (as one expects).
  • If I take a look into the synchronization options I see a data source called "cards" in the line "Notes". However, I haven't configured Notes because I want to have them synchronized (and "cards" is the name of the data source of the contacts, not of notes!). The field was definitely empty when I configured the synchronization and it always gets filled after a resync. It's reproducible (and perhaps related to this one).
  • (Perhaps not a bug but by design:) I created some more telephone fields for my EPIM contacts, because there are some people in it who have more than one (private) phone number. These numbers never get synchronized.
Is there anyone who is able to confirm all this?

lk
keiooz
Novice

Re: SyncML synchronization of contacts does not work

Post by keiooz »

I will also try what you did and I know it works for me too.
Works like a charm!! Image