How to sync Outlook 2002/XP with EssentialPIM Pro Business Edition 7.2?

Please post your suggestions, bug reports, ideas regarding synchronization here
logies
Guru

How to sync Outlook 2002/XP with EssentialPIM Pro Business Edition 7.2?

Post by logies »

Hello, I would like to migrate a complex installation of Outlook 2002 (VM of XP Prof with a terminal server from Thinstuff, Public Sharefolder for public outlook folders (also based on a *.pst), Mailenable, GPGRelay) with about 6 *.pst of 6 people to EssentialPIM Pro Business Edition 7.2. My test period started yesterday. The *.psts contain thousands of entries of 11 years (especially important are recurrent tasks with links to local files on the terminal server), so copy&paste is not an option. I have installed the server (VM of Win 10 Prof) and client (on the above Win XP) . For testing I added a Google Mailaccount on the client for starting syncing with Outlook. At the moment sync is failing with "Mapi Error: 8004010F. Die DLL-Datei des Informationsdienstes kann nicht gefunden werden." I understand that EPIM 7.2 does not support Outlook 2002 for syncing as I just saw on your website. Might a downgrade help? To which version? How to downgrade? Other solutions?
Thanks
Michael Logies
logies
Guru

Re: How to sync Outlook 2002/XP with EssentialPIM Pro Business Edition 7.2?

Post by logies »

Any hints, how I can migrate my data from *.pst (Outlook 2002) to EPIM?
After rethinking migration: Essential would be the one time import of one *.pst with recurrent tasks, addresses and perhaps email (for email several options are available, I think). I could mail the *.pst to support, if you could convert it.
Thanks!
Michael
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

I don't use outlook so I can't be of much help, especially as it would seem converting .pst's to something useful seems to usually require buying 3rd party software, but one idea is that since the issue is using too old of a version of outlook you could try making a copy and than upgrading it to a trial versions of outlook from a newer version of office to sync everything across.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

Thanks. I dug in my closet and found an original DVD with Outlook 2003 and a license I never bothered to install. I will test on a copy of my productive VM later on.
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

I upgraded from Outlook 2002 to 2003 and EPIM Pro is offering import now. Import crashed on tasks after about 15 min (a few thousands tasks, I assume). 130 addresses were imported, missing 1-2. I compacted the Outlook 2002 database, then imported it to a new database in the format of Outlook 2003. Import from there crashed again, same error message, I believe. EssentialPIM offered sending an error report on both crashes, I agreed. But I`m running out of time now. Office is closed now, so I have only the weekend for migrating a lot of software and hardware vom a XP-VM to a Win10-VM. I will try with Outlook 2003 with Public Sharefolder, Mailenable, GPGRelay und Spambayes (the old configuration I hoped to get rid off) on Win 10. Going from there to somewhere has to wait.
What is happening on import with folders and subfolders (for tasks and email) from Outlook on EPIM Pro? Is the folder structure somehow preserved or is it lost?
Thanks
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

After stripping down my public.pst from about 40,000 items to 340 (only the active recurrent ones) import to EPIM was not a problem. I will try to continue with EPIM (just activated for further testing 4 licenses), because my old setup described above is much messier (and Public Sharefolder 1.5 did not want to show a public folder to Outlook 2003 on Win 10 Pro, but at least the fresh install of Outlook 2003 on the same machine as EPIM makes migration a bit easier). Folder structure of tasks is not preserved on importing (for emails it ist) so I have to export and import only parts of the old tasks tree structure per time for not loosing control.