Importing Outlook

Please post your suggestions, bug reports, ideas regarding synchronization here
petriedn55

Importing Outlook

Post by petriedn55 »

Hello,

I have a laptop (Windows 7)that died. It had Outlook 2010 installed. I pulled out the hard drive and inserted it into an external casing which I then hooked up to my "new" laptop (actually an older laptop running Windows XP). I've moved the .pst files over to the new laptop, started EPIM and tried to import the .pst files - no dice; I got an error messaging saying an Outlook installation was not detected or I was running 64-bit Outlook. I tried copying everything from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office to a similarly named folder on the new laptop and got the same error. I was directed to download the EPIM Outlook Sync, but that doesn't seem to run.

So, my questions:

1. Am I doing something wrong with EPIM Outlook Sync?
2. Do I have to install Outlook on the new computer, import the .pst files (or point the program to the .pst files) and then try to import from EPIM?
a. The version of Outlook I have is only licensed for 1 computer, and that one died before I could do anything with it. Am I likely to be able to install it on the new computer for long enough to complete the import?
3. Is there some way of simply getting EPIM to see the .pst files? I coped the folder containing them to the EPIM directory, but that doesn't seem to work

Thanks for the help!
David
Max
Site Admin

Re: Importing Outlook

Post by Max »

Hello,

in order to open/see/import PST files, you need to have Outlook installed on same machine.
I can not comment on a licensing policy of MS regarding Outlook, unfortunately.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
petriedn55

Re: Importing Outlook

Post by petriedn55 »

Not having had a reply for a while, I tried installing Outlook and that did the trick. I'm guessing it worked because I didn't try to go online with it, so it didn't validate the install. Once the import is finished, I'll delete Outlook and that way won't have violated any MS licensing policies.

Thanks,
David