Caldav OwnCloud sync error

Please post your suggestions, bug reports, ideas regarding synchronization here
Sersti
Guru

Caldav OwnCloud sync error

Post by Sersti »

My Caldav synchronisation to OwnCloud no longer works.

Carddav still works fine.

I get the following message with Caldav: "Error loading items: HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error."

I know almost nothing about such protocols. Is the "internal server" the server of my hosting provider? Should I be contacting them?
Max
Site Admin

Re: Caldav OwnCloud sync error

Post by Max »

Hello,

unfortunely we are missing important details to answer in full. If you are using external Owncloud service, please set up synchronization using File-> Synchronization-> Add-> OwnCloud
Generally, yes, Internal Server error indicates issue at server side.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Sersti
Guru

Post by Sersti »

Hi Max

I'm using OwnCloud on the server of my hosting provider.

I have had CalDav and CardDav synchronisation set up for several weeks. I set them up individually in EPIM using File-> Synchronization-> Add-> CalDav and File-> Synchronization-> Add-> CardDav

CalDav suddenly started to produce the error message a few days ago. CardDav is still working fine.

The reason I set them up individually is because I tried setting up an OwnCloud synchronisation via File-> Synchronization-> Add-> OwnCloud and I couldn't get it work. I get the error message "HTTP/1.1 405 Method not allowed". What is the correct URL ending for OwnCloud synchronisation? Assuming I have OwnCloud set up in the following directory https://mywebsite.com/OwnCloud/, what should come after OwnCloud/ in the URL?
Sersti
Guru

Post by Sersti »

I would still like to know the complete URL to use when setting up an EPIM OwnCloud synchronisation.
I am currently using the following individual synchronisation URLs:
CalDav for the calendar: https://mywebsite.com/OwnCloud/remote.p ... sentialpim
CardDav for contacts: https://mywebsite.com/OwnCloud/remote.p ... sentialpim
WebDav for passwords and notes: https://mywebsite.com/OwnCloud/remote.php/webdav/
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

URL depends on Owncloud settings and version.
For example, for version 8.2 it is example.org/owncloud/remote.php/webdav according to documentation: https://doc.owncloud.org/server/8.2/use ... ebdav.html
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Sersti
Guru

Post by Sersti »

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what an EPIM OwnCloud sychronisation is supposed to do. Is it supposed to "find" the built-in OwnCloud user calendar and contacts automatically, or just create non-functional backups of the calendar and contact files?
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

If you are using own hosted Owncloud installation, as opposed to EPIM Cloud or Google Calendar, the settings might differ a lot and there is no way for EPIM to automatically work with all kind of Owncloud setups and versions. Therefore, I suggest checking out the documentation for the particular Owncloud version and checking the set up of the particular instance.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Sersti
Guru

Post by Sersti »

My understanding of the OwnCloud documentation is that the /webdav URL is for files and that specific /caldav and carddav URLs must be used for synchronisation to the "live" OwnCloud calendar and contact features - which is what I am doing.
When you suggested using the EPIM OwnCloud synchronisation, I thought maybe it was supposed to synchronise everything automatically from a single URL.
Sersti
Guru

Post by Sersti »

I figured out the problem with the Caldav synchronisation in the end.
I checked through all the appointments on OwnCloud that had been synced from EPIM and eventually noticed that all my recurring events such as birthdays were set as repeats in themselves rather than single events in a series.
I checked back in the EPIM calendar and saw the same thing: for example, a birthday on May 23rd was shown every May 23rd as expected, but each event was somehow the start of a new series of the same event. This was confirmed by the fact that when I deleted the first instances of the events, only one instance was deleted, despite choosing to delete the series every time - so I had to delete all the events year by year in the list view through to the last instances in 2038.
Synchronisation is now no problem.