google sync of recurring events

Please post your suggestions, bug reports, ideas regarding synchronization here
ps1
Novice

google sync of recurring events

Post by ps1 »

I found a bug in synchronization of recurring events with google calendar. If there are no exceptions (i.e. a recurring event once a week on each Thursday 12-13:00), sync is ok. But once I make an exception in one particular week, e.g. move the event in week 18 from Thu 12-13 to Fri 12-13 by dragging it in calendar, this particular event won't occur in google calendar after sync.

What is even worse, in sometimes the remaining, unmoved recurring events (e.g. Thu 12-13 in weeks 10-17 and 19-27) sync, sometimes they stop syncing too. I found no rule in this. But in general, synchronization of recurring events with exceptions is highly unreliable.

My configuration: EPIM 9.8 Pro, Windows 10, the reccurring event was set once a week over four months, 1-way sync EPIM -> Google (past events: All, Future events: 2 years)

Best regards,
Petr
admin
Site Admin

Re: google sync of recurring events

Post by admin »

We weren't able to reproduce this. Once there's in exception made in EPIM in the series it gets correctly synched to Google. Please try to reproduce the issue with a new test event and if it happens to not be working as expected, forward us the log file of such sync (can be found here: Tools->Options->Synchronization, Browse... and its filename should start with "GoogleSync") and mention name of the test event, will have a look. Thanks!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
ps1
Novice

Post by ps1 »

I spent 2 hours trying to isolate and reproduce the problem, but I have to give up. When trying new recurring events with exceptions, everything works fine.

However, in my calendar there are still numerous events that synced ok at the time of creation and soon after, but later stopped and now they do not sync any more (see the example screenshot in attachment). The common syndromes are

- recurring events with exceptions
- containing a link to google meet in the note of the appointment

Petr
Attachments
missing-appointments-after-sync.png
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Petr, if you notice this happening again in the future, please forward us the sync log file, that can be found here: Tools->Options->Synchronization, Browse...
This will allow you to check what's causing such inconsistencies. Thanks!
ps1
Novice

Post by ps1 »

Log file from this morning attached. The events highlighted last time still do not sync, however, I see no strings containing the name of the unsynchronized event "Konzultace ML") in the log file
Thanks!
Petr
Attachments
GoogleSync_2021_05_10_08_14_18.zip
(3.68 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, there's no such an entry in the log file. Please try clearing the sync data in File->Database Management, under Clear Synchronization data select Google and click on the Clear button. Then sync again, EPIM will re-check and re-create sync dependences. And do not forget to backup your database file first, before doing something just in case.
ps1
Novice

Post by ps1 »

Ok! I have done as you suggest. After purging the sync data and new google sync, some events are still missing in Google cal. My database contains tons of private data, so I'm sending the logfile by e-mail to admin@essentialpim.com

Thanks,
Petr