How to make Synchronization work with Windows Mobile devices

Please post your suggestions, bug reports, ideas regarding synchronization here
admin
Site Admin

How to make Synchronization work with Windows Mobile devices

Post by admin »

Some background- many Windows Mobile devices come locked. This is different from operator lock. This particular kind of lock is meant to prevent damage to your device by installing insecure applications. In real world, however, all it does is prevents you from running applications you want to run. In this particular case, lock does not allow EPIM to access data on your device (therefore rendering sychronization impossible). In order to synchronize, we need to get your device unlocked (which is unfortunately going to take 10-20 minutes of your time).

If you are using Windows Mobile 5/6, during first synchronization, device will show the message "Starting this program requires a component from an unknown publisher. You should start the program only if you trust the component's publisher. Do you want to continue?" Please reply affirmatively.

If, after that you will see message "Your device was not detected. Please make sure the cable is plugged in securely" in EssentialPIM, that means your phone is locked. You can remove software lock by:
1. Running this application: http://www.essentialpim.com/download/be ... Unlock.exe
or
2. or
3. You can use advanced utility to temporarily remove and enable the lock:
http://www.essentialpim.com/download/beta/ppc/Setup.msi (please choose Security Off and select Provision).

If none of the above methods worked out for you (most probably it means you are using Windows Mobile 6.1), please download attached freeware registry editor (regedit.Mrln_ARM.CAB) for WinMobile devices and install it on your PPC. After that, please follow unlocking instructions listed here: http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/10/02/ho ... martphone/ (starting from Step 3). In some rare cases it may be necessary to start with Step 1 (then going further to Step3, skipping Step2).This method works for 99% of WinMobile devices.
Attachments
regedit.Mrln_ARM.CAB
(94.34 KiB) Downloaded 3002 times
Last edited by admin on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
silverweb
Guru

Problem - cannot unlock or something...

Post by silverweb »

:(
I've waited soooo looong for the WM5/6 synchronization, just to see that my device was not detected... :(

I've got Windows Vista Ultimate 64b +SP1 and Windows Mobile 6 on ETEN/glofiish M700. Connected device using a cable. Everything was as usual - systems connected and synchronized. Then run EPIM's synchronization and:

1. Initializing Synchronization...
2. Loading DLL...
3. Your device was not detected. Please make sure the cable is plugged in securely.

It was plugged in as it should. So I downloaded and run SDA_ApplicationUnlock.exe. It first says, that is ready. After I pressed Remove Lock it first says "Phone is not unclockable" (WHY? What is wrong?) and after OK it says "SDA Successfully unlocked. PLEASE REBOOT SDA NOW!" (So is it unlockable or is it unlocked?) . So I rebooted. And begun again with EPIM. But nothing helped.

So I downloaded "advanced utility" called Security Configuration Manager, but it starts and immediately hangs up giving standard Vista window, that application stopped running... Nothing left in system log... :( (See attached picture)

:cry:

So what should I do now? How can I make the synchro running?

And one more thing, because I do not get it clear... I have EPIM Pro. Shall I buy EssentialPIM Pro Windows Mobile add-on too? If I've got the option in menu I've thought that it is already bundled in and working. Perhaps the syncro doesn't work because I haven't bought the add-on? Make it clear please. Will the thing work if I buy the add-on? What if I buy it, and it won't work?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Security Configuration Manager crashes...
Security Configuration Manager crashes...
EPIM-Security-configuration-manager-stops.JPG (72.1 KiB) Viewed 59134 times
Adam
Pabianice, Poland

EPIM Pro (always the latest)
I'm on Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 64b at desk, and Android on the go (was Windows Mobile 6.5)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you can, please find a computer with Win XP or Vista 32 bit installed. I'm not sure whether the problem is caused by a 64bit OS or by something else. So, would be good to start with trying to run Security Configuration Manager on a Win32 system.

WinMobile add-on simply unlocks the unlimited synchronization abilities and doesn't influence anything else.
silverweb
Guru

Post by silverweb »

YEAAH! :)

I did help! :) -- I was thinking about the problem, that it could be the 64b system related problem. But then I forgot when trying few more times to unlock, and when writing the post...

BUT:

After successful unlocking my device I run the synchro. And after a while, when synchronizing tasks, the process stops for about 2 minutes on approx. 50% and then I got:

"SaveItem Error -7"

And now I've got some problem with displaying my Contacts and Tasks in my SPB Diary - all items just disappear from the View. When I turn native Task and native Contacts application all data is OK. But SPB Diary does not see the items... After reboot everything is OK on my device. Let's try to sync one again... SaveItem Error -7...

I noticed, that when syncing tasks it first runs about 40% quite fast, then slows, and even the green progress bar in Vista flashes very slow, and the cancel button is glowing on and off... Strange...

Edit: I've just read the topic topic6077.html. I'll try to find which task caused the problem.

What's now? How can I help to resolve the problem?

What do you mean by "unlimited synchronization abilities"? I'ts interesting for me. Please give some more info.
Adam
Pabianice, Poland

EPIM Pro (always the latest)
I'm on Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 64b at desk, and Android on the go (was Windows Mobile 6.5)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please see if you have an all-day appointment scheduled on 28-th of march of any year. If yes, delete it and see if the "SaveItem Error -7" appears again. If you don't have such an appointment then we'd appreciate if you could forward us a sample database with some tasks filled in and where the problem is reproducible. That's the only certain way we get rid of the problem.

"unlimited synchronization abilities" means that you aren't limited to 2 trial synchronizations :)
peebee

I/O Error 103

Post by peebee »

Hi I just bought your essentialpim pro and the winmobile module to sync my HTC Cruise
in the hope I could avoid the problems WMDC is giving me (the famous 0x8503001C error)
I did the advanced security thing and all and now if I try the synchronisation win mobile I get an error I/O 103 error...
I hope you people can help me because I would realy like to leave the damn outlook sync that doesn't even work!
(thank you very much MS!)
O I have Vista Ultimate 32 bit installed, my device connects with the HTC through WMDC and I can install other software on it.

Any help would be very welcome (like a cab file to install directly on the device???)

GReetings
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please try to synchronize with an empty EPIM database. Will that make any difference?
hsienkiewicz

Post by hsienkiewicz »

admin wrote:Please try to synchronize with an empty EPIM database. Will that make any difference?
I have the same problems. Let's suppose it will synchronize empty database.
Hurray we will be able to synchronize empty databases. Congratulations for developers.
hsienkiewicz

Re: Problem - cannot unlock or something...

Post by hsienkiewicz »

silverweb wrote: 1. Initializing Synchronization...
2. Loading DLL...
3. Your device was not detected. Please make sure the cable is plugged in securely.

It was plugged in as it should. So I downloaded and run SDA_ApplicationUnlock.exe. It first says, that is ready. After I pressed Remove Lock it first says "Phone is not unclockable" (WHY? What is wrong?) and after OK it says "SDA Successfully unlocked. PLEASE REBOOT SDA NOW!" (So is it unlockable or is it unlocked?) . So I rebooted. And begun again with EPIM. But nothing helped.
I have exactly the same issues. In addition, synchronization with google calendar doesn't work ("" is not a valid date).
It seems to me that this software is simply a crap not worth the money spent.
nathaliems

PPC not detected

Post by nathaliems »

I have the same problem with the latest version 2.52.
It was detected with previous version, although notes synchronization wasn't complete.
I feel like a beta tester... although I paid for the main product licence and I repaid for the synch. module.

NMS
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

This forum is not for Google Calendar, but we will release 2.52 within days that has new Google Calendar synchronization as well as Windows Mobile one.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
hsienkiewicz

Post by hsienkiewicz »

Max wrote:This forum is not for Google Calendar, but we will release 2.52 within days that has new Google Calendar synchronization as well as Windows Mobile one.
that would be great. With working synchronization with g-cal and pda, there is no better pim in my opinion 8)
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Please try just-released 2.52. Can be downloaded from http://www.essentialpim.com/?r=download
Maxim,
EPIM Team
weyman
Novice

Post by weyman »

I received the following message when I was unable to sync with my Motorola Q with Windows Mobile 6

"Your phone might be unlockable... We're going to introduce a new system soon. It should allow synchronization with at least 99% of WinMobile devices out there in the world without need to unlock them first. Thanks."

When will this new system come out? If we bought the Mobile sync will we receive the new system?

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The next version should hopefully contain a fix. And of course the update is free for you.