Don't change the icons please!

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

FireBrand2026
Expert

Don't change the icons please!

Post by FireBrand2026 »

I'm not part of the beta but I found an image posted of the "new icons" and I really want to say: Please don't change to these awful outline style icons!

New Icon Preview:
New Icons preview.jpg

The old icons shown in the original dark theme teaser:
Old Icon Preview.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TumbleDoor
Expert

Re: Don't change the icons please!

Post by TumbleDoor »

+1 for old icons here too, especially if the same design philosophy is being used on the light theme. Last thing I want to see is a bunch of black or colored outlined white icons.

PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

+1 for the old icons.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM Pro portable 8.65 // Android EPIM 5.7.2

S_Belle
Experienced

Post by S_Belle »

+1 for old
I've already voiced my opinion to keep the old Icons in the beta section, but I will +1 here too so that it can be counted openly.

Rose Ford
Expert

Post by Rose Ford »

+1 for old for me as well. I wouldn't say the new ones look awful. Matter of fact I think they would look cool in a retro style indy video game, but don't think they are very good for a productivity application.

My aging eyes really like the high visibility of the classic icons in the teaser preview dark theme.

lbw2112
Novice

Post by lbw2112 »

I'd suggest to put an option in settings to select Old Icons or New Icons. I like both.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't know why but it seems the module icons didn't render correctly on the first screenshot. They look brighter in reality. Here's couple of screenshots. And the updated icons are better suited for the high-res monitors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!

FireBrand2026
Expert

Post by FireBrand2026 »

Those screenshots are slightly better but I'd still rather have the old ones by a wide margin.

As someone with a 4k monitor the current/classic Icons work fine.

S_Belle
Experienced

Post by S_Belle »

admin wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:52 pm
I don't know why but it seems the module icons didn't render correctly on the first screenshot. They look brighter in reality. Here's couple of screenshots. And the updated icons are better suited for the high-res monitors.

For me in reality they are very dim in 9b3 even dimmer and harder to see on my 2k Dell monitor then in the first screenshot.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Frankly speaking I'm not sure if we're able to keep the previous set of icons (and make them work as an option) but will check it out and let you know.

MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

On my screens with beta 3 I also see more dim/thin icons like the thread starting screenshot.
2020-03-25_141844.jpg

The note paint bucket Icon is especially hard to see:
2020-03-25_141928.jpg
Since these are screenshots which bypass any effect the monitors would have [other then windows automatically setting a DPI scaling for it] I'd assume it's more likely a software rendering issue.

These were taken on windows 10 64 bit with NVIDIA 1080ti all up-to-date.

Mostly for fun I tired changing all the DPI compatibility settings in windows and nothing made them look better, some made them look even worse however.
Windows 7 64-bit US-ENG & Windows 10 64-bit US-ENG, Intel i7 7700k, 32GB DDR4, Nvidia & AMD Ryzen 2600 16GB DDR4 Nvidia 1080ti
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, please note however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]

lbw2112
Novice

Post by lbw2112 »

Understood. If it's not possible to have an option to choose between them, I'd prefer the old ones.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

MetalDrop, what's your scale and layout settings in Windows? Also, do you use advanced scaling options?

We will not be able to switch back to the previous icons, although it seems we can still make them optional. If all goes well, this option will appear in the next 9.0 RC1 version.

MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

admin wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:15 am
MetalDrop, what's your scale and layout settings in Windows? Also, do you use advanced scaling options?

We will not be able to switch back to the previous icons, although it seems we can still make them optional. If all goes well, this option will appear in the next 9.0 RC1 version.
Not sure what you mean by Layout settings.

As for DPI Scales I have 4 different settings between my different systems:

Advanced: 118% - [EPIM 9 Icons looks the worst on this system though it does have to stay at advance 118% for legacy business software, and is the system I spend the most time on.]
Advanced: 120% -
Normal: 225% -
Normal: 100% - [The only system the Icons look almost normal on, but still not like your screenshot.]
Windows 7 64-bit US-ENG & Windows 10 64-bit US-ENG, Intel i7 7700k, 32GB DDR4, Nvidia & AMD Ryzen 2600 16GB DDR4 Nvidia 1080ti
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, please note however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see, custom DPI is the reason the icons look a bit strange on your system. Windows automatically tries to scale them down either from the 125% icons or to scale them up from the 100% ones to 118%.