Horizontal line

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Horizontal line

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

When I create a Horizontal line in a note with the three dashes I have to press enter for it to work.
When I Press enter it creates an unwanted blank line space below the Horizontal line.
Can the Horizontal line be created by moving off of the three dashes with the up or down arrow keys?
The most bother is when the line is inserted somewhere in the middle of the page.
Filbert
Novice

Re: Horizontal line

Post by Filbert »

I think it would be better to add a keyboard shortcut for horizontal line instead.
TumbleDoor
Guru

Post by TumbleDoor »

I'd +1 a keyboard shortcut for the horizontal line.

I can't say the same about the original idea though, my main concern with it, is that it's nonstandard. In the word editors I've used with triple dash support they all require return, and they all place a return carriage afterwards, which means EPIM is working in an expected industry standard way.

As a note for the OP, simply auto deleting the new line seems like something you should be able to fairly easily setup for yourself using AHK [AutoHotkey] hotstring system.

This seems to work quite well in a quick couple of tests:

Code: Select all

#IfWinActive ahk_exe EssentialPIM.exe
:*?:---::
send ---{Enter}{backspace}
return
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

VictorParkerPIM, could you please share a screenshot indicating that unwanted blank space?

TumbleDoor, not sure I understand your concern, could you please illustrate it with a screenshot or a small video?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

a) Concerning the way the horizontal line is created I tend to agree with TumbleDoor:
TumbleDoor wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:35 am In the word editors I've used with triple dash support they all require return, [...], which means EPIM is working in an expected industry standard way.
b) Concerning a possible keyboard shortcut:
Filbert wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:27 am I think it would be better to add a keyboard shortcut for horizontal line instead.
If possible, please not "instead" but "additionally". I avoid to work with keyboard shortcuts (simply because I do not remember them :wink: ).

c) Concerning the blank space:
VictorParkerPIM wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:46 am When I Press enter it creates an unwanted blank line space below the Horizontal line.
Space.jpg
Space.jpg (12.15 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Well, for myself I would not say that it is unwanted. But I am accustomed to it by MyInfo and other programs. On the contrary, MS Word does no have it, but there (in MS Word) the space is definitely too small for me and I always have to change it manually:

Space2.jpg
Space2.jpg (6.79 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tester, please mention your display scale settings in Windows and also the fonts in notes you normally use when there's such a blank space present.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

Display scale setting in Windows is 125% (recommended) (with resolution 1920 x 1080 / recommended).

admin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:18 pm and also the fonts in notes you normally use when there's such a blank space present.

O.k. as I see now, here is to make a difference:

a) Usually my notes are imported rtf-files (or containing imports of text from MS Word via copy/paste) with line spacing 1.5 lines (Font: Arial 12). --> In this case the blank space appears:

Space5.jpg

b) If I create from scratch a note in EPIM with the default settings, the line spacing is "Single" (with default font also "Arial 12") - and then there is no blank space:

Space4.jpg
(--> This behaviour seems logical to me. I assume that VictorParkerPIM usually works - like me - with 1.5 lines as line spacing.)
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

I think someone would have to check out AllMyNotes to understand what I mean about the three Dashes, Horizontal line.
In AllMyNotes the down arrow key adds new line space, same as enter key.
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

VictorParkerPIM wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:17 pm I think someone would have to check out AllMyNotes to understand what I mean about the three Dashes, Horizontal line.
In AllMyNotes the down arrow key adds new line space, same as enter key.
Well, AllMyNotes offers both methods to produce a horizontal line:
a) the usual way by pressing Enter / Return after "---".
and
b) by pressing the down arrow key after "---".

As far as I can see, there is definitely always a blank space after the horizontal line (with both methods in the same height).
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Tester:
I find the down arrow key only makes that blank space only when you are at the very end of the note.
Try putting a line anywhere above the end of the note using "---" the down arrow does not create a blank space.
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

For me in All My Notes the space is exactly the same, either the horizontal line is at the end of a note or somewhere in between. (Always in notes with a line spacing of presumably "Single". I found no setting to check or to change line spacing in AllMyNotes.)
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Tester: There must be a difference in our computer setup.
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

I don't think so.

When you create in EPIM a new note (Line spacing "Single")
- and you type some letters in the first line(s)
- then you press Enter and type three dashes (---)
- then you press Enter again

you really have a blank space under (and/or above) the horizontal line? I don't:

Space1.jpg
Space1.jpg (5.99 KiB) Viewed 1285 times

If Line spacing is not "Single" but "1.5", I have something which could be regarded a blank space (= obviously it's the 1.5 line space) over but not under the horizontal line:

Space2.jpg
Space2.jpg (5.76 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
(Only when importing a rtf-file to a note, the situation may be different, as decribed in an earlier posting.)