images in notes: screenshot, compression,...

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

r0n
Novice

images in notes: screenshot, compression,...

Post by r0n »

I might be wrong here, but I tested it, but maybe tested wrong.

When it comes to inserting images in epim from clipboard I noticed there is difference when inserting a gif/jpg/png and inserting from clipboard.
I think it is related to the fact that clipboard is mainly .BMP thus making the image size higher relative to begin gif/jpg/png.

1)
If the above is correct, could you please add a button [insert image] that inserts from clipboard but first compresses it to gif/jpg/png and then inserts it into the note. You could for example save it temporarly in the windows tempfolder, then convert it and then insert it. (I don't know, it's just a suggestion, this is how I do it currently with epim, I have automated it. But the back-end developers at epim will implement a much better way I assume).

2)
Could you add a take screenshot button which when pressed, renders a rectangle marquee on the desktop which the user can resize and once left-clicked a popup will appear with redo,cancel, save/insert... If choosing insert then the image will be inserted as an gif/jpg/png in the note.
As a bonus, the user could have setup a default image editor, then you would get redo,cancel,save/insert,edit.
This means when clicking the "edit" option the image is first saved, this save location could be stored in memory within epim.
This in turn means when the user is done editing the image, right clicking the screenshot button would insert the image from the location was stored in epim previously when the user selected "edit". This is a quick workflow where the user takes screenshot, edits, inserts in very few operations.

Please consider it.

I already have this worklow almost completely setup by making a solution myself. I am willing to elaborate on it. But due to time restrictions I don't know If I can do that the coming weeks. Below my implementation. It's not just rendered buttons, they actually work with epim. It's based on quick macros wich does which has it's own language which for a large part is based on windows API calls:
sshot.jpg
a8907433
Guru

Re: images in notes: screenshot, compression,...

Post by a8907433 »

When it comes to inserting images in epim from clipboard I noticed there is difference when inserting a gif/jpg/png and inserting from clipboard.
I think it is related to the fact that clipboard is mainly .BMP thus making the image size higher relative to begin gif/jpg/png.
Regarding this one, you are probably right. I noted this behaviour too, but this is many versions ago.... but if you note this on an actual version of EPIM, you will be right.
I had many pictures in my notes (50 to 100 maybe), I inserted from .jpg and a copy from irfanview (CTRL C, CTRL V)- and I noted big differences in db size when inserting from .jpg directly or from the clipboard. So, I deleted all pictures and reinserted them....... many hours of work. But from then on, I inserted only from .jpg-files.
IF you know this, it is no problem...... the problem is, many users probably don´t know this and will note it by chance as you and me....