suggestion in stead of syncing notes

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

johncesta
Guru

suggestion in stead of syncing notes

Post by johncesta »

I use several of these information managers like: Ultrarecall, infoselect and myinfo.

They all do something interesting like the ability to import entire folder/file structures.

Utrarecall has the ability to sync the folder structure after importing it. Makes it easy to save the folder/files in two places and much much faster than the way epim syncs to google or onedrive etc.

But the more effective thing for epim would be to save the entire existing folder and notes in epim to the harddisk. This way it's easier and more effective and certainly faster to save stuff.

The ability to save to the icloud folder on the hard disk would be nice or even onedrive.
John Cesta
Knights of Columbus
MetalDrop
Guru

Re: suggestion in stead of syncing notes

Post by MetalDrop »

"Flat" file systems have their pros and cons.

There's an ongoing feature request to bring "virtual" notes to EPIM as it's a common feature in other programs like EPIM such as RightNote and Keynote NF.

Virtual notes are nice because they allow both a flat file system and a database system to work together.

In your example you would just have a folder of virtual notes that would all be based on real hard drive files. Which is something I did in Keynote NF quite a lot. I had anything I exported daily as a virtual note, and all other data as standard notes.

Flat file systems often come with performance issues, and in EPIM they would be many.

Just a couple examples:

Every time you did a quick search EPIM would first have to check every external file for possible changes. in a large database this could turn "quick search" into quite a long wait just to check the files for changes,
let alone all the extra over head time it could take to update the cached data if there were actually changes in a large number of files. If google decided to "touch" the files in a way that trigger a full database reload you could be waiting for half an hour + on a "quick search" depending on your hardware and database size.

Linking data [new tags added with ##tag, relations...etc.] could wind up out of sync/date unless EPIM was made to check for file changes very aggressively. Which would lead to high ambient CPU load, and lots of disk ware and tare. Which could potentially degrade system wide performance in larger databases to such a degree that you'd need to exit EPIM when playing demanding games.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
r0n
Novice

Post by r0n »

"virtual" notes sounds really interesting, any chance of it being implemented in the future?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Let's the if there's more demand for the feature. The higher the demand, the speedier is implementation.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
SilverSound
Expert

Post by SilverSound »

I use to use virtual notes in my old note program they where nice.
+1 from me.
Triple S
Expert

Post by Triple S »

I think I already +1 virtual notes somewhere else so this might be a repeat for me, but I figure I'd add my +1 here too. I use rightnote for virtual notes right now.

My main use for them is a bit reverse of everyone else here.

Rather than frequent export, it's frequent import. I have a synced folder that is filled with a bunch of constantly updated documents by other people that I then want to be able to easily search in bulk.

My current system with Rightnote works fines, but it would be nice to one day consolidate all my note taking into one program and EPIM is slowly mopping up all the niche features I need.
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

Modules which cause issues with Android, I sync via Google to Android,
the other modules I sync directly with Android.

But in general, it's just the idea to be able to quickly sync a single item.
EPIM Pro Business Network always newest
Win 8.1 Pro 64x, C2D 2x3GHz, 16 GB RAM or Win 10 Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM.