Beta Suggestion: Note History / Revision System

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Do you think revisions should be per-note (sudo-folder) or per-leaf (real docmuent)

Per-Note (sudo-folder)
No votes
Per-Leaf (real docmuent)
100%
Something Else (I'll leave a comment below)
No votes

Total votes: 9

Rose Ford
Guru

Beta Suggestion: Note History / Revision System

Post by Rose Ford »

I got access to the beta through the program, and don't have access to the beta part of the forum.

I'm going to hope that someone else has reported the fact that the restore option doesn't actually work. For that matter since I'm not really a beta tester type anyway I'm going to skip over all the bugs and just go straight to a major suggestion, and that is:

Make the history per-real note. Which is to say per-leaf.

Well I was dinking around with the beta I got thinking about how much I juggle leaves around notes, and realized that having the history saved per-"note" which isn't a real note in EPIM would be a disaster.

"Notes" in EPIM are really branches and not the actually final real note.

Notes are folders, and leaves are the pages/documents (real notes), you want your history to be per-documents (real note) not per-folder.

It would be an utter nightmare to have to revert an entire folder to an earlier state just to get one document from a month ago.

Even documents aside, just think about attachments...
They need to be fully excluded from history, but if you are saving history of a note (folder) they would need to be included as well to make sense. On the other hand attachments are independent of leaves, because once more the leaves are the real document, the note is a folder.

The situation only gets more dire when you consider tags and other elements.
In EPIM you can only tag folders (notes) note leaves (real note), it would be awful if restoring note history also reverted tags, icons, note name formatting, tree position...etc.

All and all, I hope you'll seriously consider changing gears. I know it's late in the game, but I think you'd dodge a major bullet if it got changed to history per "real notes" (leaves) while still in beta.

Around my office we're really getting into polls for all suggestions since it makes it less scary for everyone to give input, so I'll add one here too. :D
Triple S
Expert

Re: Beta Suggestion: Note History / Revision System

Post by Triple S »

+1
Per-leaf makes a lot of sense after reading your explanation.

I never really thought about it before, but a "note" in epim really is like a folder filled with documents and attachments.

Real world imagery wise, a note tree is like a filing cabinet, a note is like a folder, and it's contents (leafs & attachments) are like the things inside the folder. And a "note" that is used to hold other notes is like a filing cabinet divider.

Root / Filing cabinet
| - Note / Divider
| | - Sub Note / Folder
| | | - Leaf / Document <- - - This makes sense as to what you would want to keep a history attached too. Since you can move leafs out of notes, and you would want that history to follow the leaf, not be potentially lost or very hard to find as part of it's old note/folder.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This topic is being discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36332.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

admin wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:06 pm This topic is being discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36332.

Says I'm not authorized to see that topic.
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

Rose Ford wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:05 pm Says I'm not authorized to see that topic.
Just to confirm it: the same for me too.

I have no objections to this suggestion:
Triple S wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:10 am +1
Per-leaf makes a lot of sense after reading your explanation.
But I would like to clarify that the following remark is not necessarily fitting:
Triple S wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:10 am I never really thought about it before, but a "note" in epim really is like a folder filled with documents and attachments.

Personally, at least until now I have only notes with one, single leaf (and without attachments). In other words: one note = one document.

I just mention it so that whatever the solution will be, hopefully it will be no disadvantage for such users.