HTML export improvement

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Shron85
Novice

HTML export improvement

Post by Shron85 »

When bulk exporting notes as individual HTML files it would be nice if the inter-links where re-written so that they opened the other exported html files in the same folder:

What we get now:
href="epim://C:\Portable\EPIM\Database\MyDB.epim/notes/157395118782186938">

What we should get:
href="/Note_Export_Name_Pattern.htm">
Max
Site Admin

Re: HTML export improvement

Post by Max »

Hello,

thank you, suggestion noted. Can you help us understand why do you export into HTML files and how you use that?
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Shron85
Novice

Post by Shron85 »

Right now I don't use HTML export, because it is un-useable with broken links scattered around them.

What I would like to do however is export them to web server so that they can be used in conjunction with PHP code to self assemble websites. That way when updating a client website or my own, rather than copying and pasting content and doing all the linking and formatting manually I can bulk export to html files and be done with it. Or at least only have to do minimum clean up.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Thank you, noted. Will see what can be done.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

I had that same idea when I first started using EPIM but gave up fast since back then there wasn't any bulk individual export.

Now that there is though this would be an awesome thing to see changed.

At the very least it would be nice if inter-linked links were removed as they create quite a mess to clean up from the export and can't be left alone as they would cause confusion to readers.

Though having the links actually work would be an amazing feature really, since it would make it so you could quickly publish your own flat file static wiki style website.

Really once links worked if a couple more little features were added you could turn it into a major new feature that would let anyone who can figure out how to host html files [which is really easy now days you can even use Dropbox as a static html webhost for example] set up a and manage their own little static website using only EPIM.

+ Option to pick a note to use as a header for each HTML file
+ Option to pick a note to be used as a footer for each HTML file
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
S_Belle
Guru

Post by S_Belle »

MetalDrop wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:25 pm + Option to pick a note to use as a header for each HTML file
+ Option to pick a note to be used as a footer for each HTML file
+1 after reporting a bug I went looking to see if there had ever been a request/suggestion for a better HTML exporting system, something that had template support ideally that would let you included custom content. This is the best matching post I could find, so I thought I'd go ahead and +1 it instead of making another one.