POLL: e-mail improvement suggestions

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

What three options do you like most ?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:22 pm

- Spam filtering, with white and black listing and move those messages to a spam or trash folder - DONE
20%
- Block the preview pane and by that NOT loading e-mails unless opened or needed for the preview pane. - DONE
6%
- Option to block loading remote content (mostly pictures) - DONE
8%
- Label (flag) messages to categorize them (color or category, like in the other EPIM modules) - DONE
24%
- Mark messages (for remembrance or as spam) - DONE
7%
- Threading e-mail messages - DONE
11%
- Option to apply column changes also to all other accounts/folders - DONE
5%
- General option for requesting read receipt confirmations, now this can only be set per e-mail.
4%
- Timed e-mails, so you can set a time and date for sending out the e-mail in stead of immediately - DONE
5%
- other (1,2,3,4,5 as described in the first message or other own suggestion)
9%

Total votes: 279

Max
Site Admin

Re: POLL: e-mail improvement suggestions

Post by Max »

mattz wrote:I would prefer granular control... one setting for remote images, another for attachments...
I understand, but if you had to choose?
Maxim,
EPIM Team
mattz
Guru

Post by mattz »

You mean using just the one setting (for remote images)? I would choose to have attachments behave like images... but I don't get many attachments in my emails, so if I were more a business or perhaps academic user (many emails with attachments) I would want the attachments to always download, regardless of remote image setting... not sure if this answers your question, if not let me know.

a note: not sure if this is in the works already, but in order to really improve the mail module, I think you should design for regular emails vs spam... so regular email might allow auto downloads of remote images and attachments, spam should not... again, if possible, allow granular control in each.

HTH,
matt z.
DoctorBrown
Experienced

Post by DoctorBrown »

I agree. One setting to turn on or off the downloading of images. A second setting to turn on or off the automatic downloading of attachments. A button would be available to download the images and another to initiate the download of attachments. When downloading attachments, allow the option to browse to where the attachments are to be saved.

I do not want automatic download of attachments for the same reason I don't want automatic download of images. When I get spam I want it to appear to be an unread email address even if I happen to click on the message. If you automatically download anything, when I get spam, I have no control over the internet connections to unknown, potentially malicious, systems.

So if I had to chose only one control, I'd say turn on or off ALL downloading. If auto downloading is off, then you'd still need a control(s) to selectively download images and/or attachments on a per message basis.
Allekz
Guru

Post by Allekz »

May I suggest a progress bar so one can figure out how does it take when receiving and sending messages? It could be shown in status bar.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Allekz wrote:May I suggest a progress bar so one can figure out how does it take when receiving and sending messages? It could be shown in status bar.
Thank you, noted. You can manually invoke the status window in Mail module using Send&Receive
Maxim,
EPIM Team
HawgsFan

Post by HawgsFan »

I do not know if this has been mentioned before and if it has please accept my apology for repetition.

As a long time EPim user I would like to offer some possible enhancements to EPim. First and most annoying is the alert for new mail. While I like knowing about new mail in my "Inbox", I also apparently get alerts for Spam mail. I have had this Gmail address for at least ten years and naturally over that time my email has accumlated a significant following of spammers. It literally gives me an alert once or twice a minute during the weekdays. Hence, I had to turn alerts off. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that I use EPim as an IMAP client rather than POP. It would be nice to turn off alerts for spam or other designated folders. Ideally, I would like to be alerted for any mail to a specific folder. I have Gmail set up with a lot of filters to move/copy mail.

The second issue is that I am unable to turn off the delete verification when I delete an email using the icon on the Action Bar. It would be nice to have this ability. Also, it would be nice if there was a delete icon on each email in the preview mode like another major player in the email game whose name starts with an 'O' :D .

Thanx
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

thank you for the suggestions, all duly noted and will be considered.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Allekz
Guru

Post by Allekz »

I'd like a shortcut or button or at least a command in the popup menu for "Mark All as Read"
Tony7

Post by Tony7 »

hello,
it will be possible in the next version have a EMAIL models for answer?
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Tony7 wrote:hello,
it will be possible in the next version have a EMAIL models for answer?
Hello,
please clarify, what you mean.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
userfriend
Novice

Post by userfriend »

Quite honestly: the mail client sucks. I was very disappointed by it and with each new version, I have a look but refuse to use it. It's a crying shame.
As for the suggestions list: When you ask me, they are mostly beside the point. Have a look at EM Client to see how a mail client should look like these days: Dealing with attachments and normally not needed folders is a major aspect.

Gosh, I really wish you would sort this as mail and contacts and tasks and a calender should be in one place.
No offence. Just needed to vent this as I saw this thread.
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

userfriend wrote:Quite honestly: the mail client sucks. I was very disappointed by it and with each new version, I have a look but refuse to use it. It's a crying shame.
As for the suggestions list: When you ask me, they are mostly beside the point. Have a look at EM Client to see how a mail client should look like these days: Dealing with attachments and normally not needed folders is a major aspect.
It's funny but I love EPIM's email because it is not like things such as EM. It has pretty much every feature I use, need and desire. So I personally would be quite depressed if it turned into EM as if I wanted something like EM I'd use EM. XD

For me Custom Folders / universal folders for pop, good enough rule sets, drag & drop, easy enough attachment management, easy composing features, templates, support for tens of gigs of email and reasonable search tools covers all my bases.

The only things that really get on my nerves are the fact that when you "replay to sender" It defaults to your main email address rather then the one you actually get the email from... of course this is all version 6. Version 7 gets way to scrolly for me so I don't touch it for email. I only use version 7 when I need to do a lot of internal linking other wise I'm full time version 6 and will be staying their until at least the padding issues get fixed, though I would LOVE to see more color added back in as well, it's amazing how depressing working in version 7 can be due to it's monochrome look.
MadScientist

Post by MadScientist »

I am completely new to essential PIM - just downloaded the trial pro version 1 hour ago. So far I see a lot of potential, but I agree with most of you - the email part sucks. There is some positive stuff that I miss in a lot of other email clients (such as configurable keyword list for attachment reminder - something that Outlook has not been able to do until today), but for ordering the daily flood of email this is very, very weak.
What I need are more flexible rules - moving or copying to a folder or deleting are not many options. I would like to automatically categorize my emails (or tagging them) depending on keywords not only in the sender but also in the text of the email. And I would like to specifically assign formatting to those categories - means I want to have category "work" displayed in bold and red, category "Newsletter" in blue and category "Family" in green. That would help a lot! Let me know if I just have not found this options yet - if so, I apologize. if they are really missing - I will have to stay with Thunderbird for now ( even if it has some issues with IMAP and a calendar function that sucks...).
Please - don't misunderstand. I think you did a very good job with all the other parts - just get your email client up to date and you will be the best alternative to Outlook available! And I will be happy to pay for a perpetual license!
Bill Australia
Novice

Post by Bill Australia »

I would like to right click on the Sender of an Email and then choose from these options:
Send all messages from this sender to a designated folder. (Not just future messages but messages already received.)
Delete all messages from this sender. (Or send to Deleted Items folder)
Mark all messages from this sender with a star.

I would like to send a Newsletter in which each addressee will see his or her name and the message will be formatted as HTML or RTF equivalent.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

thank you for these suggestions, which we will definitely consider.
Maxim,
EPIM Team