did i miss something ? where are the 'skins' ?

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Do-It-Now_Guy

did i miss something ? where are the 'skins' ?

Post by Do-It-Now_Guy »

hello,

i've looked everywhere and can't find any.. apparently nobody else is interested in jazzing up EPIM.. really ?

oh, well... i'll suggest it if it hasn't been done already. :shock:

thanks,
~dg~
Max
Site Admin

Re: did i miss something ? where are the 'skins' ?

Post by Max »

Hello,

EPIM does not have skins and so far no plans for it.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Ebiinconfusion
Novice

Post by Ebiinconfusion »

I started using EPIM, when ít was much more colorful and had a warm interface.
Now it's cold, pale, and uncomortable in terms of colour.
All I want to have is the possibility to bring back the old appearance.
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

Ebiinconfusion wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:15 pm I started using EPIM, when ít was much more colorful and had a warm interface.
You can mostly blame Windows 8 and Microsoft's ill-conceived and misguided desire to kill the windows classic theme system.

That said it would be nice if EPIM eventually moved all it's color settings to a theme.ini or offered a slider like system.

Eventually I hope Microsoft and the rest of the world will grow tired of this dull polarized two tone theme system and as a whole we can rediscover the wonders of real color options again.

I use both Windows and Linux systems, and the amazing color themes and options is one of the greatest things about Linux. So many modern Linux distro's look absolutely gorgeous, whereas Windows 10 looks... Let's just call it, "metro" because that's what Microsoft tried to call it originally.
Ebiinconfusion
Novice

Post by Ebiinconfusion »

Rose Ford wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:06 pm ... I hope Microsoft and the rest of the world will grow tired of this dull polarized two tone theme system and as a whole we can rediscover the wonders of real color options again.
We should print that on a physical banner and send it to Maxim for hanging it in their central atrium!
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

Ebiinconfusion wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:15 pm I started using EPIM, when ít was much more colorful and had a warm interface.
I have no comparison with the appearance of older versions of EPIM but I understand very well your general statement.
That's no criticism of EPIM from my side (see below). But what you describe is exactly the same I feel with so many programs nowadays.
Rose Ford wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:06 pm Eventually I hope Microsoft and the rest of the world will grow tired of this dull polarized two tone theme system and as a whole we can rediscover the wonders of real color options again.
We disagree in various matters (like scrolling speed or look of the anchors) but in this respect we have exactly the same opinion. :mrgreen:

I only have certain doubts about the question who is (primarily) to blame:
Rose Ford wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:06 pm You can mostly blame Windows 8 and Microsoft's ill-conceived and misguided desire to kill the windows classic theme system.
Maybe. But nevertheless some programs are still able to offer nice, friendly looking user interfaces.

Just one example:

I tested recently a program with a quite similar name as this here. And in general it seems to be something like the (attempt of a) reproduction of EPIM. (As I do not know if this would be o.k I won't mention its name.)

Despite of a lot of similarities, this other app clearly does not have the virtues of EPIM. After a view minutes I realized that (for me) it could be by no means an alternative to EPIM. But in one respect I was surprised: It has a variety of skins (I estimate there are 20 or more) which offer the possibility to give the user interface a much more colourful, warm appearance as it can be set up here with EPIM.

So the conclusion for me is: Even if there are some restrictions by Windows/Microsoft it is obviously still possible to create skins which offer (at least to a certain degree) a visual atmosphere as desired by you and me.

But nevertheless I would like to make clear the following:

For me the appearance of EPIM (concerning colors etc.) is not great but it is o.k., it is definitely acceptable (for my taste). It could be much, much more worse - as I know from the comparison with various other apps. :wink:

And we have certain possibilites to give the user interface some color: There is especially the possibility to give the tree of the notes module an individual color (Tools -> Options -> Modules -> Notes -> Note tree background color) and the same applies to the background in the editor window (chosing "Background Color" instead of "Note tree background color"). You can also give the tabs of the trees a color etc.

By reading Max' above statement (from 2014):
Max wrote: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:39 pm EPIM does not have skins and so far no plans for it.
I have the impression that the developers want to give their users (only) a certain (basic) standard of visual comfort and apart from this they fully concentrate on their work for EPIM's functionality (its features etc.). And (for me) the overall result concerning these two elements ("look" and "technology") is definitely good enough to continue to deal with EPIM.
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

I have the impression that the developers want to give their users (only) a certain (basic) standard of visual comfort and apart from this they fully concentrate on their work for EPIM's functionality (its features etc.). And (for me) the overall result concerning these two elements ("look" and "technology") is definitely good enough to continue to deal with EPIM.
I full agree with Tester! I also thought about skins, how nice that would be.... but I am content with EPIMs look, and for me it is much more important to have a small, portable, stable program, than a wonderfull looking huge program with many libraries, which is susceptible to errors and bugs.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That quote is from 2014, I wouldn't pay much attention to it now, almost 7 years later :)
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!