A directory for notes

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

ninoEPIM
Expert

A directory for notes

Post by ninoEPIM »

I have already proposed, some time ago, something like that but I fear that it was not entirely clear. MI seems a rather urgenete and important to deal with, especially for those like me use a lot, EPim, notes. They say a picture is worth a thousand words ... I am attaching one that should clear quite well what I am proposing.

thanks for the attention

P.S. : Of course, I am referring to the root of the current note, one on which you are working at that time
Attachments
screen.PNG
Max
Site Admin

Re: A directory for notes

Post by Max »

Hello,

thank you, suggestion noted.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
coohle
Novice

Post by coohle »

+1 from me for the display of the current note path

As it is related, may I mention again that the Back/Fwd and Favourite Notes functionality would greatly enhance the work with the Notes module for us who use it extensively.
ninoEPIM
Expert

Post by ninoEPIM »

Hi coohle
Even I make extensive use of the notes, and I appreciated your suggestions (post you linked). I think EPim has taken another step forward in that sector by introducing the checklist (to be finalized though) but you should actually take greater account of the traceability of the notes as part of 3D structures rather complex, starting, for example, with color highlights or other type of formatting / highlighting active note.But perhaps the most urgent thing, however, seems to be just the display of the path. My personal use of EPIM is 60% related to the ability to manage notes and tasks: so you can imagine how attentive to improvements in these areas.

ciao
mvisconte
Beta Team

Post by mvisconte »

> perhaps the most urgent thing, however, seems to be just the display of the path.

Let me give a second vote for the value of a path display.

My use of EPIM is probably closer to 80%+ dependency on NOTES. Multiple projects, in progress at the same time, results in many notes.
I've tried:
one node at root level for each project,
each project in a different tree
splitting out projects into their own EPIM - this is where I'm at.

Even with each project in its own EPIM db, a search for a term may turn up dozens or hundreds of hits. I can step through each one, but in order to see "where" a note is, I have to click in the note, then clear the search, then scroll the tree-list to see what the note hierarchy is.

Maybe a bread-crub trail can be displayed in the status are at the bottom (currently used for: "Displayed: [some number of notes]" on the left, and "[some number of] Words" on the right. And if the string is longer than the available area in the status line, you could trim the spaces or put "..." in the middle.
So... maybe show:

Code: Select all

Displayed: 488   |   Tree_name > root > child > child > child ... > Leaf_name   |  382 Words  
Another option would be to show the path at the top of the content summary that shows in the pop-up when you hover over a note name in the tree.
ninoEPIM
Expert

Post by ninoEPIM »

I think I can clarify my thoughts by commenting the two pictures that I attach to this post:
Image 1: you may make more "navigable" and traced the notes by inserting a dedicated toolbar
Image 2: The traceability of the note, here, is done with the usual system root
Attachments
image 2
image 2
image 1
image 1
ninoEPIM
Expert

Post by ninoEPIM »

Ho potuto notare che anche in Epim 7.0 RC2 gli sviluppatori hanno voluto considerare l'annoso problema della non perfetta tracciabilità delle note in Epim. Allego al presente post un breve video per chiarire quanto sia prezioso provvedere, sperando che il problema venga presto seriamente considerato.

I could not help but notice that even in EPim 7.0 RC2 software developers have avoided considering the long standing problem of imperfect traceability of the notes in EPIM. I attach to my message a short video which should clarify the situation, hoping that the problem will be seriously considered.

link for video : https://goo.gl/3dmwuc

thanks for the attention, best regards
Last edited by ninoEPIM on Fri May 13, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

+1 for a path trace for Notes - like Windows Explorer for tracing the path of subdirectories ("Note" in EPIMS case)

+1 for backward searches (from other suggestions)
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

ninoEPIM wrote: I could not help but notice that even in EPim 7.0 RC2 software developers have avoided considering the long standing problem of imperfect traceability of the notes in EPIM. I attach to my message a short video which should clarify the situation, hoping that the problem will be seriously considered.

link for video : https://goo.gl/3dmwuc
Hi, I'd like to point out that in both version 6 & 7 you can find the note you are working on even if everything is collapsed like in the video by simple switching to a different tree and back.

https://youtu.be/T7I6hyo4b2I
ninoEPIM
Expert

Post by ninoEPIM »

Grazie per averlo fatto notare: non ero a conoscenza di questo piccolo escamotage. Resto però in attesa che venga implementata un sistema di gestione delle note più attenta alla loro tracciabilità.

Thanks for doing that note: I was not aware of this little trick. But rest pending implemented a management system of the notes more attentive to their traceability.

Again, thank you for your contribution