Calendar Month Labels

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Racklefratz
Novice

Calendar Month Labels

Post by Racklefratz »

IIRC correctly, previous versions of EPIM had labels inserted on the first day of each month, so it was easy to see which month calendar was on the screen. That seems to be gone now, as of v7.0.

Why? I thought this software was intended to make PIM stuff easier. Without the month identifier, I find myself actually having to refer to the built-in Windows calendar to see what month I'm looking at. Doesn't make any decent sense. Why were the month labels in Calendar dropped?
Max
Site Admin

Re: Calendar Month Labels

Post by Max »

Please indicate which screen you mean exactly. A screenshot would help.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

It's the main Monthly Calendar
Racklefratz
Novice

Post by Racklefratz »

In the dropdown of calendar formats on the left side, only one "month" format is listed, so it's clear which format is being discussed.

I'm pretty sure there used to be a month shown on the 1st day of each new month, but someone thought they were unnecessary, obviously, and they mis-called it. I'm frequently scratching my head trying to figure out what month I'm looking at, especially when more than one is shown at the top left. Including it on the first day of each month makes it unambiguous.
Last edited by Racklefratz on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

VictorParkerPIM wrote:It's the main Monthly Calendar
Monthly view has a name of the month on top, so it should not be a problem identifying "which month calendar was on the screen"
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Racklefratz
Novice

Post by Racklefratz »

Right. It "should not be a problem".

But it is, or those of us raising this issue would not be doing so. Do you really think we haven't even seen that "month name" at the top left? C'mon. I've seen EPIM month view with as many of THREE months in that box.

If you happen to be in the "sweet spot", where at the resolution you use, all you see on that view is a month at a time, you're golden. But that's not the real world. This thing appears to be resolution dependent. For example, my current monitor's native resolution is 3840 X 2160. I generally run it at 2560 X 1440, which is still higher than a lot of monitors people use.

It's not uncommon for me to see two month names at the top left of the month view screen, and I've seen three months shown up there in EPIM month view. There are Windows display settings that can affect resolution, and there are definitely monitor resolutions that appear to affect what's shown in the EPIM "month view". If only one month were ever shown there, it would be fine, but that's not the case.

There was a reason prior versions DID have a month label on the first day of each month. The rationale for doing that is as valid now as it ever was. Unfortunately, someone had a "better" idea. NOT.
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

You really might want to provide a screenshot, as what you are saying doesn't seem to be very clear.
I'm quite lost for example on how you are having so many months show up in month view... as the number of days in the normal month view is unrelated to your screen DPI it shows a preset number of weeks and just makes each day square bigger until it fills the window size.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

True, it is impossible to understand without screenshots.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This will be fixed in the upcoming EssentialPIM 7.1 version. Thanks.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Racklefratz
Novice

Post by Racklefratz »

OK, for the disbelievers, and those wearing the rose-colored glasses, here's a show-and-tell which should make all this mysterious "without pictures, it didn't happen" stuff suddenly become clear:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Racklefratz, like I said this is fixed in our internal builds and the fix will be available in EPIM 7.1.
Racklefratz
Novice

Post by Racklefratz »

admin wrote:Racklefratz, like I said this is fixed in our internal builds and the fix will be available in EPIM 7.1.
I saw that. This was for the benefit of those who seemed unable to understand my descriptions of this issue.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok :) ....
ALM
Novice

Post by ALM »

I’ve been struggling with this issue too. And I appreciate that there is now a month label on the first day of each month, but I find even that hard to locate without a bit of “gymnastics”.

For me, the Month Label in the Title Bar would be the most helpful spot for quickly identifying which month I'm looking at.

Instead of listing the names of all months that are being fully or partially displayed, Couldn’t the Month Label in the Title Bar list only:
a) the Dominant month being displayed, or
b) the month of the day currently selected

How Month Label looks now in the Title Bar
How Month Label looks now in the Title Bar

This would be more helpful Month Label in Title Bar
This would be more helpful Month Label in Title Bar
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

the Dominant month being displayed
This is how it works by default settings if the number of weeks displayed in the month view equals to 6.