Add an option for switch between new (v7) and old (v6) UI

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

You think this switch option is essential?

Yes! It's fundamental and it's the perfect solution.
50%
I don't care...
8%
No! The old UI need to disappear and all users need to migrate to new one.
42%

Total votes: 12

FiroKun
Novice

Add an option for switch between new (v7) and old (v6) UI

Post by FiroKun »

The new UI for v7 is a completely nightmare, and I hate it so much in so many ways. And even the fact I'm graphic designer and I'm use to flat-icons modern UI... But isn't for the look, it's because isn't functional in some many ways! But, that is another subject.

My suggestion here, since the new UI has been quite polemic and many users are rolling back version just because the UI (including myself), and by potencial users that never will adopting this new UI: so, include in EPIM an option for switch between both UI in convenience (old and new). That would be awesome! Using the latest version of EPIM (a life saving software) with an UI we all confortable with. I think that wouldn't complicated to "make" for developers, because is just an option, and so many other softwares implement that!

Pros of this switch feature:
- Leave the user the freedom for use the UI they feel more comfortable and functional for day-to-day use.
- Keep the old good functioning UI at the same time the new UI is improve by developers.
- The last version don't loose those users that would stuck in an old version just because the UI (like me).
- Don't force to use that unfunctional new interface (without offend anyone).
- And you keep users happy.

Please consider and implement this! It's essential have this option for use the old UI in the latest versions.
PeCe
Guru

Re: Add an option for switch between new (v7) and old (v6) UI

Post by PeCe »

I am almost sure that Astonsoft won't add such an option. At several occasions there are posts that this is the new design and users that do not like it should remain on 6.x. They were not going to maintain/update the old interface. I know there are many essential differences between these versions on the point of the UI, so I can understand that. But I sure regret it, because as it stands I am one of those persons that is "left behind" and remains on older versions of EPIM Win and Android. So for now its Win 6.x and Android 4.1.5 that's the end of the line of this great program. :( :cry:

So +1 from me for the wish of an option to switch between these interfaces. Then I can also use the newer versions.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

Me too, I didn´t like the UI of 7.0. BUT- try 7.1 RC1 ! It is realy very much better than 7.0, the difference in look between 7.1 and 6.x isn´t so big anymore, and the functionality of 7.1 is much better than 6.x. Give it a chance, ty it!
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

Yep I agree 7.1 is a lot better and for me 7.1 is what 7.0 should have been. Than there would be not so much comment on it.
BUT still 7.1 is;
- looking bad on my Win7 with the "old" classic theme. At work with Win10 it looks a lot better. If I change the theme on Win7 than 7.1 it shows a lot less information.
- I guess good for big screens, but not for my laptop with 17".
- terrible if you use the contact module often. You have to scroll a lot or collapse sections of information to show other sections with information.
- contraproductive if you use a lot of fields (plus custom fields) in the contact module. The separate tabs with personal and business information worked a lot better. Also a lot of the fields from 6.x are scrambled over the screen in the contact module, what makes it all even less useful.
- working contraproductive if you want to edit fields. You can't select a field and then edit it. No you have to select edit all fields, than search the requested field and than you can edit it.
- not designed to be used in windows modus. Just had the experience that I thought there were no notes in the password module. But after changing to full-screen they were displayed.
- still using "big linespacings", the trees for the different modules are now going offscreen. In 6.x you have more items displayed in the trees.
- in the calender not showing differences between workdays and other days. In 6.x you see what workdays are, not in 7.x, all days have the same colour.

I know a lot of things are just getting used to. But I still don't like it. I have helped betatesting 7.0 and 7.1, know the changes, but for me the new options are not enough to get me onto 7.1. IF (I do know that the chances are almost nill) IF IF the old UI of 6.x would be implemented in 7, than sure I will use the new version.

After looking at 7.0 and 7.1 I think that for now as said 6.x is the end of the line for me.
Maybe in time I will check on EPIM again to see what has changed.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

It would be technically very difficult to implement 6.x UI for 7.x version, so we choose improving 7.x instead.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Len
Guru

Post by Len »

After looking at 7.0 and 7.1 I think that for now as said 6.x is the end of the line for me.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
EssentialPIM Pro portable 6.58 // Android EPIM 4.1.5

Wow, if you can upset and annoy someone like this Epim has really lost it way!!!
FiroKun
Novice

Post by FiroKun »

Len wrote:After looking at 7.0 and 7.1 I think that for now as said 6.x is the end of the line for me.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
EssentialPIM Pro portable 6.58 // Android EPIM 4.1.5

Wow, if you can upset and annoy someone like this Epim has really lost it way!!!
I feel the same... 6.x is the end of the line for me too.
Minor changes and improves to 7.x UI wouldn't change the fact that is a quite less functional UI than 6.x.
Rick74
Experienced

Post by Rick74 »

Is there a way to get rid of the nag screen insisting on installing the new version at each restart of the OS? Me too, I am not going to switch to 7.1. I use EPIM solely as the calendar, and version 7.1 is about the same as 7.0: it just shows much less information on the small screen of a laptop. This is a step back... :-(
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

Rick74 wrote:Is there a way to get rid of the nag screen insisting on installing the new version at each restart of the OS? Me too, I am not going to switch to 7.1. I use EPIM solely as the calendar, and version 7.1 is about the same as 7.0: it just shows much less information on the small screen of a laptop. This is a step back... :-(
This should get rid of the nag screen:
Main Menu > Tools > Options > General > uncheck the box next to "Automatically check for updates"

As a P/s if you haven't tried it yet in v7.1:
Main Menu > Tools > Options > Appearance set the font size to 8. (It'll do a lot for getting information density much closer to v6, though not quite since edit windows are still really big, the left hand menu is still bigger...etc One other thing that helped me out a lot was to go to Main Menu > View > uncheck "tags field" I did that everywhere but tasks since that's the only place I use tags which also opened up a lot more space.)

After making those changes I can use v7.1 most of the time, but I still have to switch to v6 when working with attachments due to limitations in v7.1 compared to v6.
Rick74
Experienced

Post by Rick74 »

Unfortunately not - changing the font size has no impact on the fonts in the calendar, only the menu in the top left screen got smaller, but nothing changes on the calendar: no smaller fonts in the appointments...
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

I feel the pain of those v6.58 users who don't see the value of switching to v7.1. I have been using EPIM since 2008, so the appearance of the v7.0 UI was a real shocker to me at the time. Several weeks ago, I did finally switch to v7.1 and have adjusted. I changed because improvements to EPIM will most likely come to v7.x, not v6.x - just like in other software products. I am counting on those improvements making my personal pain to adopt v7.x worth it.

Having used PIMs since 1980 (Sidekick on PC-DOS)...before many of you users were born (sigh!)...I have found there is no perfect PIM...for me. PIMs are very personal things, I doubt anyone uses every facet of any modern PIM, but only those features of interest, just as in any software. I don't use the email client in EPIM for a lot of solid reasons - for me, and I am not saying the email client is good or bad, I just am committed to Microsoft Outlook as I have been for years (for better or worst).

So my point is this: use v6.58 if it still works for you, but keep an eye on v7.x evolution - it might change to the point where you might want to switch.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
Scotty
Guru

Post by Scotty »

Agreed
That is exactly where I am right now.
I've used EPIM since v2.7, but I too have stopped at v6.58
No plans to upgrade
v7.1 is so so SO much better than v7 in terms of space but not enough (in my opinion) to forgive the UI and it's scalding whiteness.
So v6.58 is as far as I go.

But I check back here every so often to see whats happening.
Max has confirmed that colour schemes are on route to be added to v7x.
I believe I'll make the switch to v7x at that point.

So if your holding back on v6x because of some issue, make it known on the forum and it will get added/fixed/changed.
FiroKun
Novice

Post by FiroKun »

Just retaking this since some time has past... Now EPIM is in his 7.6 version and in my opinion can't be still compared to what 6.x was in functionality and workspace.
I'm now running in a 4k display MSI laptop, yeah I have a lot of screen space for use, and it's incredible that even in that big screen 6.x have more workspace than 7.6.
How much time we (the users) need to wait to se an EPIM equal or even more better than what 6.x was? We need to wait to version 8? Or it's possible that in version 7 we get that? I don't know...
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

We are seeing very good adoption of 7.x version and its functionality is no doubt much better than 6.x version.
Indeed, in some cases UI may be less useful, as well is it is more useful in 7.x version in other situations.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
FiroKun
Novice

Post by FiroKun »

Max wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:32 am We are seeing very good adoption of 7.x version and its functionality is no doubt much better than 6.x version.
Indeed, in some cases UI may be less useful, as well is it is more useful in 7.x version in other situations.
Yes, I realiced that if in 7.6 the UI continue with some features that for some many users like me stope in some way the migration from 6.x, is because by the rest of the community 7.x works fine and better.
It's a personal opinion anywhere. Also from someone that only use the Calendar and Password modules, so I have no idea, in real use, of the improvements made in other modules.
I recognice that since 7.0, wich start this post, to 7.6 the UI has change for good in some many ways. But, and again it's a personal opinion, 7.x don't have the level of usability, workspace and work-speed of 6.x, at least in that two modules I only use: Calendar and Password, Calendar mostly.
I don't whant to start a discussion now about 7.x UI, I think that is a past subjetc and there's been a lot of writings about that in this forum.
I would keep my 7.x EPIM up to date in the way of more improves until it has an UI that don't be a stresful and slowly walk for those followers of what 6.x UI was. I said before, maybe in version 8?
Greetins, and thank you for the hardwork in this lifesaving software!