Suggestion - edit locations

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Mel
Guru

Suggestion - edit locations

Post by Mel »

Pls allow us to edit locations. There's an option to edit priority, completion, and categories (Edit > Category > Edit categories...).

Add the following:
Edit > Location > Edit locations...

And please make "Location" available under right-click.
-- M.
Max
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion - edit locations

Post by Max »

Hello,

there is no need to edit locations, you can just add the correct one and over time the old one will get overwritten. There are just too many locations in the world)
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Mel
Guru

Post by Mel »

Well, I did't mean locations in the world but the "Location" field in the Appointment window (in fact, it has no label). The real taks: how to change +200 entries with location "@Komputer" to "@Computer"? One by one?
That's why I suggested feature Edit Locations similar to already existing ones, like Edit Categories.

-- M.
(EPIM 7.12 Pro Portable)
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

there is no such option and it has not been requested enough for us to devote resources to this.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Mel
Guru

Post by Mel »

Max, thanks for devoting your time to reply :)

It's really cool that adding logical, intuitive or simply useful solutions/options/functionality must still be supported by a certain not-precisely-defined number of requestes. But not my problem. My problem is the second part of my previous post:

"The real taks: how to change +200 entries with location "@Komputer" to "@Computer"? One by one?"

Any ideas, pleeease?

-- M.
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

Mel wrote: "The real taks: how to change +200 entries with location "@Komputer" to "@Computer"? One by one?"
Any ideas, pleeease?
-- M.
I know I say this a lot... Not sure how often I say it on the forum, but in the real world it comes up about every other day.

EPIM really needs a way to execute custom SQL, so things like this are easier on normal users.

I don't have time at the moment to write up a "How to use x SQL program" and the SQL editor I use is not free since I didn't like the only free one Max could recommend a while back. http://www.mitec.cz/ibq.html

Anyway it's super easy once you figure out how to open your database and run an SQL statement. (Note your database needs to be un-encrypted for this to work as otherwise the location name is encrypted.)

UPDATE TASKS SET LOCATION = 'TheNewPlace' WHERE LOCATION = 'TheOldPlace';

In this case:

UPDATE TASKS SET LOCATION = 'Computer' WHERE LOCATION = 'Komputer';

If you need any help Max is probably the one to ask since he actually uses IBQ.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
Mel
Guru

Post by Mel »

Thanks a lot, MetalDrop! Very useful info here.
IMVHO it should be clearly stated in EPIM manuals that one has to play with external tools in order to do simple tasks.

-- M.
ar18
Novice

Post by ar18 »

I concur that this should be a standard feature, even if it hasn't been requested very much. That's because logically there should be one, whether or not anyone "feels" they need it or not. The wisdom of the crowds isn't all that wise as myths make it out to be :lol:

One of my functions as a DBA is to be familiar with SQL, T-SQL, and P-SQL syntax -- so that isn't a problem for me, but like you, I am lazy and I don't feel like installing SQL Server, MySQL, or SQLite on my home computer, and modifying the db file everytime EPIM automatically fills in the "LOCATION" dropdown in a NEW APPOINTMENT dialog. Part of my reason for being lazy is, I don't even know what the schema of the EPIM db file is yet, so I would have to hunt and peck around until I figured out what the schema is. I could hope that the schema was obvious due to any joins, but if there are no joins I will have to resort to hunt and peck, especially if I wanted to delete items instead of just merely changing them. I just think that sounds like more work than an email user should have to go though to change a bunch of automated typos.

At the very least, I would like to see a DELETE LOCATION button, that way I can get rid of all the junk with a simple mouse click, instead of aggravating my carpal tunnel by typing all those SQL statements :D
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

I have seen quiet a few request for this.
I requested it back in 2010

https://www.essentialpim.com/forum/view ... ion#p38931

Victor
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Thank you for the suggestions.
Currently "Location" lists are different/independent for Calendar and Tasks module. If we allow to edit "Location" list, would it be OK to merge and use a single editable list for both Calendar and Task modules? (meaning you change the list in Tasks and changes accordingly in Calendar) Opinions?
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Mel
Guru

Post by Mel »

Max wrote: [...]would it be OK to merge and use a single editable list for both Calendar and Task modules?[...]
Yes, IMO there's no reason to use two separate location lists

-- M.
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

Mel wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:57 pm
Max wrote: [...]would it be OK to merge and use a single editable list for both Calendar and Task modules?[...]
Yes, IMO there's no reason to use two separate location lists

-- M.
I agree!

Also, it would be nice for a simple interface in EPIM to execute SQL commands. Yes, I am lazy and also I am time constraint.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
rchogan42

Re: Suggestion - edit locations for calendar events

Post by rchogan42 »

Is there any chance to increase the number of locations from 20 to maybe 50 or more? Often what I am doing is entering a ie: MN-White Bear Lake for a location of where I am interviewing... and then in the description I am actually putting the street address...
Thank you for your consideration.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sure, we can do that. Thanks for the suggestion!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!