Has anybody found a way to use EPIM as a Journal?

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Gbs
Novice

Has anybody found a way to use EPIM as a Journal?

Post by Gbs »

In addition to EPIM, I use a Journal application in which I make notes of things I have done and to record important bits of information related to each day. None of the EPIM modules have this function since these daily notes are neither 'Tasks' nor 'Appointments': 'Notes' is closest but this is not date specific nor is it possible to show the presence of 'Daily Notes' in the calendar. It frustrates me that I have to run both EPIM and a separate Diary/Journal.

I wonder if anybody has found a realistic way to use EPIM as a Journal?

Ideally I would like an additional simple module called something like 'Daily Notes' which pops up like the New Task pane, automatically headed with the day and date and a simple notes/list section. Once it is created it should show in the Calendar as an icon or Daily Notes bar - as Tasks and Appointments do - enabling it to be opened through the Calendar.
PeCe
Guru

Re: Has anybody found a way to use EPIM as a Journal?

Post by PeCe »

I also have used a seperate diary/journal, but like you I did not like it that I had to use two programs every time. Specially since I did first make notes (because I have it open almost all of the time) in EPIM and than copied it to another program.

After some time I created a separate tree for the notes and now I use EPIM as a diary/journal.
journal.JPG
As described in the picture (shown more clearly by clicking on it) I use the date in the titles for recognition and when needed filter options.
Works okay for me.

This isn't shown (except when you create a link) in other modules. For me there is no purpose for that. If necessary I can use the notes of an appointment or task and create a link to a note. That works sufficient for me for the few times I wanted such a link (appearance in another module).
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17
Gbs
Novice

Post by Gbs »

Thanks PeCe that's really helpful: I'll start using your system and see how I get on. But I still like the idea of a dedicated Module in EPIM, the more I think about it the more I realise that with a 'Journal' module I could do away with at least two more programs.
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

I sure hope it helps. Otherwise add request information to this message (or old requests for a journal/diary). Describe what you miss and/or want to have as extra options. The developers sure "listen" to this and it might be implemented.

A separate journal/diary might be handy, I agree with that. But only when it is implemented correctly.
That means with proper date filters and other possible extras that users want. For instance indicators for smiley’s in titles and messages, with fields for weather indicators, options for custom fields?!?

I know/expect that a journal/diary is in the list of the developers, but as with all wishes it is up to the users (number of requests) that prioritize requests like this. If you search on journal or diary you find lots of questions about such an option.

BUT also you find request for more input/information from the developers and those questions are not answered, so how can the develop something when the people who ask this don't answer questions about a possible journal/diary module.

As described I found a workaround that works for me. One tree with business notes, one tree with private notes and one tree with the journal/diary notes. The latter is structured as described above.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Johannes
Novice

Post by Johannes »

Thank you Peter!
Yes, I also would appreciate a journal module very much!
Cromuss

Post by Cromuss »

Is there anyway to convince editors to implement a diary as a module at nearly versions?
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

I would say no, there isn't. Which is understandable, because than the same question about convincing the editors would go for ALL other requests. They can't do that. Also the program would become too bloated if they would honor ALL requests.

SO

The only way for the moment is repeatedly asking for this feature, preferably by lots of users of this forum. So if many of us would support this request, than the programmers will give it more priority and this feature will be included "sooner".

As described there are workarounds for now, but you have to set up a diary/journal yourself.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Cromuss

Post by Cromuss »

Thanks, PeCe. Your points are right. That's the only thing that does EssentialPim inferior than Efficcess. Let's keep waiting.
Josealdo94
Novice

Post by Josealdo94 »

Cromuss wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:44 pm Thanks, PeCe. Your points are right. That's the only thing that does EssentialPim inferior than Efficcess. Let's keep waiting.
Hmm I totally agree.
TumbleDoor
Guru

Post by TumbleDoor »

Yeah, waiting for x huge number of people to beg for something on a forum is a pretty bad way to prioritize development for sure.
The fact of the matter is most people even those of us who use the forum are not going to watch the forum like eagles and up vote things, and given the track record of NOT doing things if you NEED something you just have to move away from EPIM for doing that task. Which kills a lot of peoples incentive to request features or up vote the ones other people make.

Still the biggest thing I'd like to see is plug-in support so that way we could actually do some development ourselves, or in a business case if you really needed a feature you could pay a 3rd party to make it for you, especially as slow as EPIM core development is. Having "business" software that you can get locked into if you use it enough that you have no options to do anything for if you really needed it, and that is not used by a large enough group for even common requests to be heard by the developers to take notice is a big hazard, and until they fix that hazard I doubt they will really ever see the kinds of profits and market adoption they could see, and if they keep avoiding fixing it for long enough something else is going to come along and steal their chance.

It's funny since the fact they use FireBird means some of the worst parts about opening up the program for plugins is already done. There's lots of documentation for it, people who know how to use it...etc
swwhit52
Novice

Post by swwhit52 »

I set up a very simple journal/diary using Notes. I preface each title with a date in the form yyyy-mm-dd. This may be unusual, but I like to have the newest entries on top. Unfortunately, the Arrange By Name does not appear to have the option to sort in descending order. Is there a key combination that I can hold down when selecting Arrange By Name that will change the sort order, or some other way to do this?'

Arrange By Modified won't help in this case because the 'journal date' is seldom the same date that the note is entered or modified.

Update: I found that the Android version has a nice 'sort by' that allows ascending or descending. However, the sync (with Windows version) does not appear to preserve the selected sort order.

thank you
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

None of the EPIM modules have this function since these daily notes are neither 'Tasks' nor 'Appointments': 'Notes' is closest but this is not date specific nor is it possible to show the presence of 'Daily Notes' in the calendar.
I use EPIM for two or three years now as Journal- or: Diary. I have simply a Note with subnotes and leafs, AND entries in the calendar. Almost each day. I used the simplest way- just double click, new appointment....
So I have 1886 appointments in my calendar- but, perhaps only 200 of them are really appointments. The rest (1686) are simple text entries, with neither "appointment" nor ""task" character.
So, to add a simple note in addition to "task" ans "appointment" would be a very good idea. I would use "note" in calendar as the default action on double click.
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

Honestly, EPIM delivers that option, with some workaround.

If you want to access your daily memories ;) from the Calendar, then there is a simple way to do it.
Create a system of the notes like PeCe showed you.

You write a note in Notes, then RMB on it, Copy as link, then you go to Calendar module, double click on a related day or time when you want to have your note available from, and in the TITLE of Calendar event (Event Name) paste the link.
You will see the blue active link in the calendar. You click like on the internet, and you are right in your note.
Last edited by Trinitylab on Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EPIM Pro Business Network always newest
Win 8.1 Pro 64x, C2D 2x3GHz, 16 GB RAM or Win 10 Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM.
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

Well, but if you noticed yourself, this is just a workaround!
It has two disadvantages: 1) It has not the look & feel of a calendar- WHEN was it- in summer, in november, at my hollidays? In calendar you see it on first sight!
And 2): it is more inconvenient! Note, calendar module, paste link....... it is just a workaround!
It is faster and easier to use just appointments.
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

Well, yes, if the notes, memories, remarks are not too long for one day, then obviously events do the job.
There is plenty of room in an event note.
EPIM Pro Business Network always newest
Win 8.1 Pro 64x, C2D 2x3GHz, 16 GB RAM or Win 10 Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM.