Has anybody found a way to use EPIM as a Journal?

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Trinitylab
Guru

Re: Has anybody found a way to use EPIM as a Journal?

Post by Trinitylab »

Max, suggestion:
you might add leaves to event's note, just like leaves in Notes module. This would not take too long, you have all the coding.
EPIM Pro Business Network always newest
Win 8.1 Pro 64x, C2D 2x3GHz, 16 GB RAM or Win 10 Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM.
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

Or, I just thought, might be something simpler (?):
in Calendar > RMB on a time slot > then in context menu > Add Note, next to Add Appointment, Task...
And such a Note automatically creates a Leaf in Notes Module, called: Calendar Notes,
and in this Leaf all the Notes which are put into Calendar via RMB>Add Note are collected, one by one. Automatically named and ordered by dates and times, as this is a simple and logic solution.
Sersti
Guru

Post by Sersti »

Sounds good, but was that a suggestion for a new feature?
I have no Add Note item in the context menu of Calendar items - only Add Appointment or Add Task
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

Sersti wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:34 pm Sounds good, but was that a suggestion for a new feature?
I have no Add Note item in the context menu of Calendar items - only Add Appointment or Add Task
Yes, I said "might be" :)
axhake
Novice

Post by axhake »

The easiest way I have found to use EssentialpIM as a Journal is to:

1. In the "Calendar" - Create a "New Appointment"

2. From the "Category" drop down menu go down to the bottom - "Manage Category" and create a new entry named "_Journal", and assign a color for it.
(Note: I add the "_" underscore at the beginning so that it will appear at the top if there are more than one all day Appointment)

3. Then make sure "_Journal" is selected from the "Category" drop down

4. In the subject line enter - "Journal:"

5. Tick "All day event"

6. Create a "Tag" named something like "Journal"
(Note: This can help when searching)

6. Now save as a template - Named "Journal"

When you want to add a journal entry, go to the day and create a new appointment, from the "Template menu" down at the bottom just select "Journal" and away you go.
Journal.jpg
Hope this is some help to others :D
kk
Experienced

Post by kk »

Great suggestion!
Thank you. :)

axhake wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:49 pm The easiest way I have found to use EssentialpIM as a Journal is to:

1. In the "Calendar" - Create a "New Appointment"

2. From the "Category" drop down menu go down to the bottom - "Manage Category" and create a new entry named "_Journal", and assign a color for it.
(Note: I add the "_" underscore at the beginning so that it will appear at the top if there are more than one all day Appointment)

3. Then make sure "_Journal" is selected from the "Category" drop down

4. In the subject line enter - "Journal:"

5. Tick "All day event"

6. Create a "Tag" named something like "Journal"
(Note: This can help when searching)

6. Now save as a template - Named "Journal"

When you want to add a journal entry, go to the day and create a new appointment, from the "Template menu" down at the bottom just select "Journal" and away you go.

Journal.jpg

Hope this is some help to others :D
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

OK, sorry, but I have to react to this juvenile bs here titled "i dont want to make this click and next, i want the programmers spent a couple of hundreds of working hours on designing something which is already available but i am too lazy to use it".

There ARE plenty of ways to have a diary in EPIM, at hand, available in ONE click.

0. (optional) In Notes module create your own tree, name it "My diary".
1. Create an empty note in root, name it as you wish. You can make next ones as per year. The structure is up to you.
2. In a year you can create children notes, let's say months.
3. RMB on a month note.
4. Copy as link.
5. Go to Tasks module.
6. Create a task in root which will be always displayed at top. You can name it _diary or whatever.
7. To the title of this task paste the link from p. 4. Make the task "read only". Save it.
8. Go to Calendar.
9. On the right you have a simplified view of tasks. Always, until you catch it and drag it to the right sidebar. If you don't see it, catch the right edge of EPIM and drag it left.
10. If you made the task _diary correctly, you will always have this task in the top right corner,

and THE ONLY THING you need to do is to click the f. active blue title (subject) of the task.
It automatically opens the link to the note which is your diary. In the note you can automatically place the time and date. See icons there.
It needs work only in the beginning. Then it needs only one click.
Really that hard?

PS Developers, the only thing I would suggest here is how to make a desktop shortcut to a given note. That's apart of this bs about a diary.
bofhlusr
Novice

Post by bofhlusr »

Sorry, I can't resist and thought I should reply even though this might have already been addressed.

I think this is my first post in this forum after having been a lifetime(?) subscriber of the PIM for some time... I bought the program because it looked promising and seemed like good value.

Yes, it is hard for someone totally new to EssentialPIM to create journal entries. Why?

Your instruction has 10 steps. Why?

I have lots of questions to start:

1. tree?
2. note?
3. empty note?
4. root?
5. children?
6. year?
7. RMB? (I know, right mouse button right?)
8. Link?
9. Tasks module?
A. What icons?

And before you react to this "juvenile bs", please know that I've taken computer and programming classes. And I have a post graduate degree. I used to be a help desk manager of 300+ workstations in addition to 4 out-of-state call centers, an IT and project manager, technical writer and so on for a very very large Fortune 100 financial institution. I use MS Office (Access, Outlook, and OneNote especially since it became MS Office) and also use unix (solaris and aix since before linux became popular), I also sold telecommunications apps I programmed, and I was also a network administrator (Novell and Microsoft) among other things.

It's not a question of user laziness. It's a question of time. Yes, as a former programmer I know good user interface design can be time consuming. It could well take 100s of hours to develop a good UI. Also, a large user base can be a hard group to please. But I have to respectfully ask ... who's lazy? :-)

P.S. I wear a T-Shirt that say: There are 10 kinds of people. Those who know binary and those who don't. Lol.
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

bofhlusr wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:36 pm
Agree.

But as much as I don't like some bugs in EPIM, and changes since, well, 7.x, I expect here a wider perspective:
it is a PIM type software.
And if someone wants a journal, well, I would like to have a full CRM system out of PIM. :))))

So, there is a way to get the journal. A bit of workaround, agreed.
Shorter manual, three steps, would involve just creating another, separate module probably.
bofhlusr
Novice

Post by bofhlusr »

I bought into PIM in the hope that it would have a contact history feature similar to the functionality offered in Agendus Pro:

(https://palmarchive.com/files/jPalmFile ... pro_en.pdf)

Basically: tapping on a contact would list all events (tasks, meetings, phone calls, etc.) for the contact:

Palm Agendus Pro contact history.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you link a contact to other items in EPIM like tasks, events, etc., you'll be able to see them all on the Related Items tab.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
bofhlusr
Novice

Post by bofhlusr »

Do I have to link the contact to each item? For example, if I had 20 past appointments with my doctor do I have to link the doctor to each of the 20 appointments; or, can I just click on my doctor's name and EPIM will automatically list all 20 appointments? I hope it's the latter. I'd love to have that feature in a PIM.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How would EPIM know which appointments to link automatically? You'd at least needed to mention the doctor's name by using the "@" symbol, for instance.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
bofhlusr
Novice

Post by bofhlusr »

Palm Agendus Pro contact history.jpg
How does one relate an event to a contact, in this case a doctor? Answer: when you select the name of the doctor when you schedule an appointment. Another example: when you receive or call the doctor.

To create the requested contact history, EPIM would do a search for the name and list all associated actions like appointments, meetings, phone calls in chronological order creating a "journal listing" of all interactions with the name.

In the example above, the name Albert Collins, show a listing of all interactions (journal entries) made with him. On 9/6/05 I discussed a business... On 9/07/05 a proposal was discussed, on 9/11/05 a phone call was made or received from him and so on...
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

Yes, but this is rather relevant to CRM use.

In case of relating an event to a contact, it has been always very easy in EPIM, and recently has become even easier.

New event -> in the subject start typing @first/last name of the contact, it should show you a list of fitting contacts, narrowing with each typed character.

The same way to create repeated appointments.