Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

tomrice
Novice

Altered sorting on child tasks and filtered tasks

Post by tomrice »

Here is a list of tasks sorted by highest to lowest priority:
Unfiltered.png
Unfiltered.png (7.64 KiB) Viewed 930 times
Although "Subtask" is high priority, it's at the bottom, because the parent task is lowest priority, and maybe in some cases that is just fine/desirable...

However, here's another example (sort by nearest due date) where it's not necessarily helpful:
Let's say that the top level tasks are projects, and the project "Lowest Priority" is not due until next week, BUT a child task in that project is due today. Look what happens when I sort by date, I want to see "Subtask" at the top because it's due today, but it's at the bottom because its parent isn't due until the 20th.
Due Time.png
Due Time.png (5.7 KiB) Viewed 930 times

This is even more confusing when using filters, as if the parent item is filtered out, it still affects the sort, so it's not obvious why the items shown are not in the correct sort order. See this example where I filter it to only show tasks in the "Tasks" category:
Filtered.png
Filtered.png (4.6 KiB) Viewed 930 times
If I sort by highest to lowest priority, "Subtask" is the highest priority item in the current filtered view, but is shown at the bottom (because the parent task was lowest priority).

Note: Switching to "Plain" view is not a solution for me because I always need to see the tree, otherwise I don't know what project the tasks are part of and there's no context, everything becomes a mess without the tree.
The "By Due Date" feature is cool, but doesn't solve this either as I have the same problem on several columns I might want to sort by - sorting by due date was just an example.

My possible suggestions are:
1) An option to, when using a filter, have the sort feature only sort by what is currently being shown, ignoring any hidden parents.
2) Achieve this with a 4th "View" option which always shows things like Tree view but allows tasks lower in the tree to override their parents for the purpose of sorting.
Max
Site Admin

Re: Altered sorting on child tasks and filtered tasks

Post by Max »

Hello,

thank you for detailed and clear explanations. We will consider your suggestions, however, I am pretty sure we follow a common approach applied in other applications.
Maxim,
EPIM Team