Key Items for Month Appointments

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

SteveW
Novice

Key Items for Month Appointments

Post by SteveW »

Here is the thing, I know you can filter on categories on the calendar etc. But I think it would be great if we could have a 'Key' item tag/checkbox or something similar on appointments. (Ripped from Above&Beyond )

So for example you Create an Appointment as normal, but somewhere on the form you have a little checkbox/switch to say if that item is Key or not. So for example a Key item would be something really important like a Doctors Appointment, Meeting with the Boss etc. You then have an option/checkbox within the main options to only show Key appointments on Month View. If enabled the month view would automatically only filter the Key Appointments but without impacting the normal view on the Weekly Schedule/Agenda/Daily etc.

I used this in Above&Beyond from 1Soft and it is great to just have two separate views of your schedule. So for example, if like me you want to Unschedule (Niel Fiore) you can keep a 24 hour weekly schedule full of stuff. The weekly schedule becomes like your ToDo list in essence. Then you can quickly switch to Month View to see the 'Key'/Important meetings etc. To make sure you keep your eye on the overall picture, add deadlines for projects etc etc.

I know you can do this by say creating a Category Key/Important etc and applying a filter. But a filter isn't exactly the same, because once applied it applies to the calendar/schedule as a whole.

Anyway just a suggestion.
ecsaltz
Guru

Re: Key Items for Month Appointments

Post by ecsaltz »

EPIM has had this feature...forever. It's called "Priority", and can be filtered. In fact, there are several levels of priority one can filter on.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
SteveW
Novice

Post by SteveW »

Hi,

How do I do that then? Only recently switched to EPIM so still finding my feet :)
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Steve, I think you are better off using View-> Show Categories for this. Why do you think that does not solve the problem? Can you give an example, please.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
SteveW
Novice

Post by SteveW »

The categories as such will work, but I use them for all appointments. So my day is scheduled 24 hours. Some appointments will be Routine, others Home/Personal, Business, Friends etc various different categories. I can filter on a specific category but that filter then applies to all views. day, week, week agenda, month and year. I can't for example filter the category 'Important' just for the month view while still showing everything on the week view. Switching between views, means changing categories each time.

If you could have separate category filters for individual views, that would work. I don't know if there is a way to do that? Then I could filter only Important appointments on the Month View, and show everything on the Week View.

Like I say the feature is in Above&Beyond a Dynamic Scheduling Program. You have a day view, that shows the whole schedule appointments/tasks. Week view, you can filter just appointments if you decide. Then month view, you can filter just 'Key' items. You define an item as 'key' on the item creation form or edit it at a later date. Just a toggle on the form on/off. General idea being the day view/week view gives you a detailed view of your schedule. But the month view, gives you a quick overview of just the Key/Important items. The filter is applied through the options 'Month View show Key Items Only' sort of hardcoded as such. So regardless of other filters they overide them, more as system options. You decide whether to enable or not. Like a preference.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

I see our point, will take it as a suggestion, thanks!
As a workaround, you could re-use "Private/Public" flag. You can be showing/hiding Private/Public events on any screen and any event.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
SteveW
Novice

Post by SteveW »

OK thanks :)