Backup Failure

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

KmxSoft
Guru

Backup Failure

Post by KmxSoft »

I had set up EPIM last week to automatically backup every 24 hours. But following that re-installation I hadn't defined the target folder on my hard disk.

I just discovered when I performed a manual backup that if the target folder doesn't exist then EPIM throws an error message. That message doesn't advise missing folder but after some tinkering I found that to be the cause - when I created the target folder the manual backup worked.

The worrying thing is that auto-backups don't work, and and no advice is given to the user about that failure. This is a bit iffy if the user is relying on backups as part of their strategy. I would therefore like to offer a couple of suggestions:

1) If backup fails, advise the user and don't leave them to assume it worked. Doesn't matter if it's auto or manual - in my view backup failure is a big issue.

2) It would be nice that if the backup fails EPIM told the user why it failed. EPIM must be failing because the target directory isn't present, so why not tell the user?
Max
Site Admin

Re: Backup Failure

Post by Max »

Thank you, suggestion noted, we will consider what could be done.
Maxim,
EPIM Team