Multi-calendars, user-selected display.

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

mvisconte
Beta Team

Multi-calendars, user-selected display.

Post by mvisconte »

Max and all,

I have a request/suggestion that I think would benefit may people.

I use my schedule/calendar for multiple events, everything from meetings, doctor's appts, vacation, reminder for status reports that are due (monthly/weekly), reminder for development that I'm doing, equipment installations, holidays, trips, after-work events, dinners, etc. I try to put everything in, so I don't forget anything (duh). Some of the things I enter may span multiple days. When I try to get a print-out, I can wind up with a very busy ("hard to read") result.

Is it possible to have multiple calendars, with user selection over which oneS will show up in the current display? That way, I could go to a meeting with a print-out for the next couple of months, and only have the installs, development, etc. on that print-out. I could still have my reminders for weekly status reports that are due, but choose not to have those on the print-out. I could bring up multiple calendars for each person's vacation, and not show all of the other things on the calendar. This would also let me define one calendar as a daily journal (until epim sees fit to actually build one in) and if I print just that calendar w/out anything merged, I'd have everything I accomplished list for my chosed time period.

This is kind of what I have in mind:
http://www.isaacbowman.com/gtd-with-goo ... w-calendar

Also, can we also have a "smarter" display when it comes to multi-day events? If I get a month calendar, instead of having five (5) recurring boxes, clotting up Monday to Friday, I should have one solid band that spans those days, and the text description flowing across the available span. In other words, make it look more like the on-screen display.

Trying to keep the developers busy, :wink:

Marc
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Thanks, Marc,

the need for multiple calendars is accepted and has been in our development plan for a while.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
mvisconte
Beta Team

Re: Multi-calendars, user-selected display.

Post by mvisconte »

Max, how about the...
mvisconte wrote:Also, can we also have a "smarter" display when it comes to multi-day events? If I get a month calendar, instead of having five (5) recurring boxes, clotting up Monday to Friday, I should have one solid band that spans those days, and the text description flowing across the available span. In other words, make it look more like the on-screen display.

?

Marc
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

mvisconte wrote:Max, how about the...
mvisconte wrote:Also, can we also have a "smarter" display when it comes to multi-day events? If I get a month calendar, instead of having five (5) recurring boxes, clotting up Monday to Friday, I should have one solid band that spans those days, and the text description flowing across the available span. In other words, make it look more like the on-screen display.

?

Marc
So fat not in the plans, maybe later...
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

How is this multiple calendar doing?
EPIM Pro Business Network always newest
Win 8.1 Pro 64x, C2D 2x3GHz, 16 GB RAM or Win 10 Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's in the plans. Although, no ETA at the moment, unfortunately.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
janicetr
Novice

Post by janicetr »

admin wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:04 pm It's in the plans. Although, no ETA at the moment, unfortunately.
15 years in the making :D :D :D
This flaw makes EPIM impossible to use with any cloud PIM services where people organize their events in multiple calendars...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Why not? Multiple calendars on other services = multiple categories in EPIM.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
janicetr
Novice

Post by janicetr »

admin wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:40 am Why not? Multiple calendars on other services = multiple categories in EPIM.
I use CalDav. I have to set up two syncs in EPIM to sync my business and personal calendar (both have uniq caldav urls). On the first sync, EPIM merges the two calendars into it's one own. On the second sync, it will overwite the two remote calendars with the merged data. No categories will help with this situation.
Haldex
Guru

Post by Haldex »

Multiple calendars are not equal to multiple categories!

I use two calendars on two different servers. One calendar is private and is located at provider A. The other calendar is from the company and is located on another server. On my PC, I can manage the appointments on both calendars. This is possible with many calendar apps. For example: Outlook, eMclient, One Calendar or the Windows calendar.

I didn't know about the restriction and integrated my two calendars via the separate synchronisation options. Too late I realised that suddenly all private appointments ended up on the company server and the business appointments on the private server. A huge mess, a disaster. I could only do one thing, delete the company calendar, because I didn't want everyone to be able to read my appointments. Re-create the company calendar and re-enter the company appointments! Then distribute the calendar to all the participants again. Please do not do such an exercise again.

It is a pity that EssentialPIM does not cover this need and does not openly describe this limitation on the homepage. A lot of damage could be prevented!

It is also incomprehensible that this is finally not being impelmented after this has been an issue since 2006!

Essential PIM has a very successful interface. Too bad, I wanted to finally replace Outlook. But that's not going to happen!
Win 11 Prof 64 Bit, 16 GB, 11th Gen Intel i7-11390H 3.4 GHz
Haldex
Guru

Post by Haldex »

It seems that something will come up in the near future. See viewtopic.php?p=117824#p117824
Win 11 Prof 64 Bit, 16 GB, 11th Gen Intel i7-11390H 3.4 GHz