Suggestion for Contacts window

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: Max, TerryRogers

axhake
Novice

Suggestion for Contacts window

Post by axhake »

I have a lot of contacts that have multiple email accounts and phone numbers which I have been transferring into EssentialPIM.
When trying to add the email addresses and phone numbers I am finding that they tend to jump around from where I try and place in their group on the Contact so have to revert back to the "All Fields" table view to find them.

Can I please make the suggestion that the contact page be updated to something more usable, I currently also use VueMinder which has a very good compact layout allowing users to add multiple entries in groups, could EssentialPIM adopt something similar to make entries easier.
Attachments
Vueminder - Contacts.jpg

Max
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion for Contacts window

Post by Max »

Thank you, suggestion noted.
Maxim,
EPIM Team

CTSguy
Novice

Post by CTSguy »

I have asked about this issue also. I believe this "confusion" was introduced when EPIM decided to move to independent labels and phone numbers. There is a way to allow this flexibility without introducing the current confusion. The way EPIM contacts is now structured it makes if very difficult to get a consistant view from contact to contact (especially if you import information but even if you have had the program for some time and your organizational preferences change). I find I am faced with the daunting task of examining nearly 900 entries to align my phone numbers in a consistant order or living with the current tolerable frustration. Perhaps a supplemental program could be introduced that would allow us to organize these phone numbers and emails within the existing database. Maybe a duplicate, sort, update original type of program.

CTSguy
Novice

Post by CTSguy »

perhaps a seperate table for phone numbers. then each individual would have the ability to add phone numbers and labels as needed. The current structure means I would need to "remember" how every phone number was labeled and the position it holds in the table in order to modify the presentation of phone number and internet information.

axhake
Novice

Post by axhake »

Yes that would be the better suggestion, one of the other packages I used to use many years ago (do-Organizer) did a similar thing, they has separate tabs for: Telephone Numbers, Email Addresses, UR:s.
On the main page they had an area (bottom left) to select which ones to use as the primary which is a much better layout and way of managing
Doogiepim-1.jpg
I switched to EssentialPIM when they stopped updating do-Organizer and do miss the way they had their contacts.

Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Just to understand the issue- what if you set up to show necessary telephone fields in Contacts main view, where they are very visible?
Maxim,
EPIM Team

axhake
Novice

Post by axhake »

As with other software having a panel/window that shows all the details relating an individual is easier to relate to. Just having grid view we might as well store our contacts in Excel.
EssentialPIM is an excellent piece of software, that can only get better. Where users have lots of information relating to a contact having to scroll back and forth across a big list not a very elegant way of managing contacts.

Dierk
Experienced

Post by Dierk »

CTSguy wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:42 pm
I have asked about this issue also. I believe this "confusion" was introduced when EPIM decided to move to independent labels and phone numbers. There is a way to allow this flexibility without introducing the current confusion. The way EPIM contacts is now structured it makes if very difficult to get a consistant view from contact to contact (especially if you import information but even if you have had the program for some time and your organizational preferences change). I find I am faced with the daunting task of examining nearly 900 entries to align my phone numbers in a consistant order or living with the current tolerable frustration. Perhaps a supplemental program could be introduced that would allow us to organize these phone numbers and emails within the existing database. Maybe a duplicate, sort, update original type of program.
REALLY LIKE the idea of being able to MERGE fields within the Contact database. Through inconsistent importing & Sync - some of which is surely my own fault - the EPim Contacts database has a HUGE number of "duplicate" Field Names.

An Option to "Show All Fields With NO Data" would also be helpful. (Am I - Hopefully - Missing a feature that already exists here???)