Default icon in notes

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: Max, TerryRogers

todd
Novice

Default icon in notes

Post by todd »

I use the same icon for all of my notes unless I specifically want to make something stand out to catch my eye, at which point I'll select a different icon just for that note.

Once I select a different icon for any note, new or old, that then becomes the default icon for every new entry. I am so used to having my standard icon used for new notes that often times I miss the fact that all my icons are now coming out as the last one I selected. I then have to go back to those and change them back to my standard icon.

Could I suggest the ability in note settings to choose a default icon, so that selecting a new icon doesn't automatically make it the new default?

For those that like the current behavior, maybe a switch saying "use last selected icon as default y/n". Answering no would allow you to have the system automatically use the last picked icon as the default just like it does now?

Best regards,
Todd

admin
Site Admin

Re: Default icon in notes

Post by admin »

That's an interesting point, thanks! Will probably add an option to set up the default icon.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!

ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

todd wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:46 pm
I use the same icon for all of my notes unless I specifically want to make something stand out to catch my eye, at which point I'll select a different icon just for that note.

Once I select a different icon for any note, new or old, that then becomes the default icon for every new entry. I am so used to having my standard icon used for new notes that often times I miss the fact that all my icons are now coming out as the last one I selected. I then have to go back to those and change them back to my standard icon.

Could I suggest the ability in note settings to choose a default icon, so that selecting a new icon doesn't automatically make it the new default?

For those that like the current behavior, maybe a switch saying "use last selected icon as default y/n". Answering no would allow you to have the system automatically use the last picked icon as the default just like it does now?

Best regards,
Todd
+1. I use different icons in m note trees. I also tend to use the same icon for new notes for a bit, then switch to another icon for another set of new notes. Having the option to either re-use the last icon, or the global default one, would be very helpful and further encourage the use of icons for clarity of notes in the note tree.
PC Desktop: Window 10 Pro, three 4K monitor extended display system.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Note 8, Android 8 - linked with Samsung Gear 3 watch and original Pebble watch.

S_Belle
Experienced

Post by S_Belle »

+ 1/2 I'd like the option to set no icon as the default. I only like Icons on some rare things to make them stand out.

todd
Novice

Post by todd »

I like the idea of no icon as one of the selections for the default. I believe the reason I started using a single icon for all my entries was because I didn't have that option and I wanted to keep the look of my notes uniform.

SilverSound
Novice

Post by SilverSound »

+1 for no icon as an option for default

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the additional comments, noted about the "no icon" option.

FireBrand2026
Expert

Post by FireBrand2026 »

+1 and an extra request if possible allow default child icons to be set in a notes properties it would be a dream come true.

I like having my icons setup so that pages are always children of books, Place markers are always children of maps, People Icons are always children of contact book...etc and this would be a lot less work if I could just set a default child Icon for a parent node.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A bit specific request but will consider it, as well. Thanks!