Notes module: shallow sorting the notes tree

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: Max, TerryRogers

tamer
Novice

Notes module: shallow sorting the notes tree

Post by tamer »

Currently the sorting in the notes affects the whole tree. And it's marked as "not a bug, won't fix".

A brief description of the suggestion:
Shallow sort allows sorting one level deep. Thus, if you 'shallow sort' the whole list, you'll sort only the top-level list items. If you 'shallow sort' a branch, you'll sort only the top-level children of this branch. The items on deeper levels will remain in their places.

Please vote.
ecsaltz
Guru

Re: Notes module: shallow sorting the notes tree

Post by ecsaltz »

tamer wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:36 pm Currently the sorting in the notes affects the whole tree. And it's marked as "not a bug, won't fix".

A brief description of the suggestion:
Shallow sort allows sorting one level deep. Thus, if you 'shallow sort' the whole list, you'll sort only the top-level list items. If you 'shallow sort' a branch, you'll sort only the top-level children of this branch. The items on deeper levels will remain in their places.

Please vote.
+1. I frequently use just a Note tree for outlining - it's my fastest, and simplest, way to outline in EPIM. However, sorting is a tedious process - doing a "swallow sort" would be a huge improvement in rearranging entry sets in the tree.
PC Desktop: Window 10 Pro, three 4K monitor extended display system.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Note 8, Android 8 - linked with Samsung Gear 3 watch and original Pebble watch.
Frizzell9
Novice

Post by Frizzell9 »

Never heard of shallow sorting, but reading your description, it does sound like it would be a beneficial asset /function for business users who generate extensive note structures that require more complex listings in order to properly organize them. Is shallow sorting a feature used by any popular software that many of us may be using or have heard of? I personally don't use any that do.
"Why a four year old child could understand this.
Run out and get me a four year old child,
I can't make head or tail out of it."
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

Is shallow sorting a feature used by any popular software that many of us may be using or have heard of?
Perhaps I´m wrong.... but I think EPIM itself has a kind of shallow sorting: In mail module (POP3) you can: make any numbers folders and subfolders, you can manually sort folders, and in a folder, you can sort emails for "sent" other columes ("from", "subject", "size" and so on) according A > Z or Z > A, individually for each folder.
Isn´t that a kind of shallow sorting?