Filter notes box

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Triple S
Expert

Filter notes box

Post by Triple S »

I realize this may sound redundant since you can use quick search for this, but honestly quick search is too powerful/cumbersome for this function.

A quick filter box in the note tree to quickly find notes by title would work a lot better than having to swap the quick search to title only all the time.

I don't know about other people, but I use quick search in all fields a lot through the day, but I also need to just find a note in a huge tree by it's name a lot through the day as well. Which means I wind up spending a lot of time and frustration* swapping quick search back and forth all day.

*(There is no visual indication of the current quick search settings, making it easy to get frustrated not being able to find something only to realize you had it set to title only.)

Filter notes.png
admin
Site Admin

Re: Filter notes box

Post by admin »

Thanks for the suggestions, noted.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

Speaking of
Triple S wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:25 pm There is no visual indication of the current quick search settings
@admin

Shouldn't the grey text be that indicator?
epim_search-box1.png
epim_search-box1.png (1.03 KiB) Viewed 2213 times
But once we put the cursor there, it disappears.
epim_search-box2.png
epim_search-box2.png (699 Bytes) Viewed 2213 times
It'd be of more use, if it appeared whenever the search box is empty (like after we did a search, switched back to the search box to search for something else, and are deleting the previously searched word).
Similar to this:
epim_search-box3.gif
epim_search-box3.gif (3.87 KiB) Viewed 2213 times
And also, the grey text is there when we first switch to a module, but if we change where to search in, it just shows 'Search in:' after that until we switch to another module and back.
epim_search-box4.png
epim_search-box4.png (936 Bytes) Viewed 2213 times
Triple S
Expert

Post by Triple S »

Since I have all other modules disabled and only use notes and nearly never restart EPIM the only thing I ever see is the last one:
2020-11-05_094500.png
2020-11-05_094500.png (1.39 KiB) Viewed 2209 times
But after reading your post if I close out of EPIM and re-open it, it dose actually say where it's searching.
SilverSound
Expert

Post by SilverSound »

+1 for a note tree filter box.

Ideally limited to the current tree. For me one of the worst thing about using quick search for note title searches is that it searches all the trees, so if I miss-type something I can get kicked out to another tree and have to go back to the one I was trying to find a note in.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Keldi, sounds reasonable, looks good and wouldn't be too hard to implement. Will check if we can include this in the next update.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This has been improved in the 9.5.2 version release, please check it out.
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

Now the empty field always shows the hint, thanks.
But the issue with the 'Search In:' on switching still remains (an animated gif in attachments).
Attachments
epim_search-box.gif
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Confirm, will improve that, as well.
FireBrand2026
Guru

Post by FireBrand2026 »

+1 Would really like to see a note title filter box, especially if it was limited to the current tree as I find quick searches annoying to use for title searches since it can kick you out of the tree your current in.
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

I also fully support what Triple S had written in his posting. :D

And may I add here some (small?) additional wishes:

a) Yes, for search only in the current tree (as already suggested above by other posters).

b) A filter box that is visible permanently. (So that it is not necessary to open it every time I want to make a search.)

c) Keeping the "Find as you type" feature (as it is alreday established now in the quick search).

d) Keeping the feature that the first search result (note) opens automatically in the editor window (as also already existing now in the quick search). (If in some cases or for some users this may be annoying: Perhaps as an option?)

e) Please make it possible that the search takes place only at the beginning of a word (= title) and not somewhere within it too (as it happens unfortunately now in the quick search). At BitsDuJour I had illustrated it with the following example:

Currently when searching (only) for "nation" it will also show me "alternation", "combination", "international" etc.

That's extremely cumbersome, especially when you search for specific keywords (as it will often be the case when performing a title search).

Maybe that others will say here too: No, I prefer it the other way around. :wink: So, if possible, please offer the search at the beginning of a word at least as an option (that will be kept when closing and restarting the program).

The first time I worked with such a filter box was already a couple of years ago with "azzCardfile" (version 4) and from this time on I like it:

asb.jpg
asb.jpg (46.38 KiB) Viewed 1888 times

As you can see in the above picture, in "azzCardfile" the box (the dark brown field) is integrated directly into the tree. ("Cards List" is the same as the Notes List at EPIM.)

And here the situation after starting a search:

asb2.jpg

---> I typed the letters "ABHO" in the search/filter box
---> "azzCardfile" shows me the (five) words in my tree that start with these letters
and
in the editor window the first entry (card/note) is automatically opened.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks very much for the additional comments, all duly noted.
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

+1 for filter box for notes.
Filbert
Novice

Post by Filbert »

+1 I think a filter box in notes would be handy.