Add version number to auto-backups

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: Max, TerryRogers

MetalDrop
Guru

Add version number to auto-backups

Post by MetalDrop »

Could the EPIM version number be added to the auto-backups?

It would be helpful for reverting damage down by version updates if there was an easy way to see what the last backup was for a given version.
EPIM Portable Pro on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit US-ENG, Intel i7 7700k, 32GB DDR4, Nvidia 970 & AMD Ryzen 2600 16GB DDR4 Nvidia 1080ti.
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, please note however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
admin
Site Admin

Re: Add version number to auto-backups

Post by admin »

It could, although wouldn't it be better to focus on handling the damages caused by version updates (if any)?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

From personal experience even if you fix the thing causing the damage I still have to revert the damage that was caused by the thing. You don't usually release special tools to clean up the mess. In this case it was a false alarm, but it gave me flash backs of other times it had, specifically the tag color issues. Back when it first started happen I was mostly working else where and didn't notice them being damage, and it was—A LOT faster to go back to an old database before the damaged and than copy my new content back to the old database than it would have been to add color back to over a hundred tags.

There was also the Icon damage back in... I want to say V8 that I lucked out and found that if I copy/pasted notes from an old database their old undamaged Icons would be brought over with them which saved me a ton of time not having to re-import icons.

And there have been many more times I've had to hunt for a given database version to revert damage, but I think this has gotten long enough to get the point across.

If you need further reasons this is a dual purpose feature it also serves as a quality of life / time savor request as a tester. As a tester I have spent quite a bit of time in the past going through backups to find databases used by a given versions of EPIM to figure out when a bugs started so I can look at the version log for more clues to where it started.
EPIM Portable Pro on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit US-ENG, Intel i7 7700k, 32GB DDR4, Nvidia 970 & AMD Ryzen 2600 16GB DDR4 Nvidia 1080ti.
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, please note however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see, thanks for the explanation, noted.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!