Feature Request: Hidden / Hide items

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

SilverSound
Expert

Feature Request: Hidden / Hide items

Post by SilverSound »

Apparently not to be confused with Private items which require a password to show.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35816

I want the ability to mark Items as hidden and then show them with a shortcut key, just like private items, but not require a password.

Why:
Not all hidden items need extra protection, and it gets annoying/time consuming to enter a password, even a short one let along a good one many times throughout the day.
MetalDrop
Guru

Re: Feature Request: Hidden / Hide items

Post by MetalDrop »

I could see having separate "hidden" items as being handy.

Particularly if there was an interface button to show them.

My thoughts are that it would be a handy way to archive old things you didn't want to delete, without having to toss them into an archive node folder, which is what I do now and I'd suggested that perhaps this could be added as an "archived" status.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the suggestion and comments, noted.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
tahoma
Guru

Post by tahoma »

You both especially thinking of Notes aren't you, for the Calendar and Tasks have "completion" and can also be filtered on Category, thus for all I can see supporting the feature you are requesting. Just curious :-)
FireBrand2026
Guru

Post by FireBrand2026 »

+1 would be a great way to archive things.

@Tahoma
Tasks and Calendar have completion, but if a task or event was never completed and instead abandoned or other this would be nice for it as well, so that you could archive it without deleting it or false marking it as completed.

It would also be useful for contacts and passwords you want to archive but not delete.
tahoma
Guru

Post by tahoma »

Sure, so many possibilities. I have lists for uncompleted tasks, and indeed abandoned is one of them (another is intention), and I move uncompleted tasks there.
FireBrand2026 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:01 pm @Tahoma
Tasks and Calendar have completion, but if a task or event was never completed and instead abandoned or other this would be nice for it as well, so that you could archive it without deleting it or false marking it as completed.

It would also be useful for contacts and passwords you want to archive but not delete.
TumbleDoor
Guru

Post by TumbleDoor »

At this point I'm too invested in my current archiving system to use this myself, but I know people who would love this feature and don't have form accounts, so proxy +1.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think our discussion has switched its course form being able to show private items on password protected databases without entering a password to something completely different related to archival options.
SilverSound
Expert

Post by SilverSound »

admin wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:58 am I think our discussion has switched its course form being able to show private items on password protected databases without entering a password to something completely different related to archival options.
Which is why it turned into it's own feature request. In our last topic I realized I was using Private Items for something they weren't made for, and thought it would be better to turn it into it's feature request rather than requesting that private items be made to fit my out of context use case for them.

MetalDrop really nails it by calling it an archiving feature, which is exactly what I use private items for right now, as a way to archive things in place.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, so you'd like to still have items the same folder they were initially created in, although not always visible if/when marked as archived ones? In other words, the only difference with the regular items would be their archival status?
S_Belle
Guru

Post by S_Belle »

+1 I love the idea of, "in place archiving".

I hate entering passwords all the time, so I would have never thought about using private items like that.

My added suggestion to this would be to add a toggle option to the quick search options "Include Archived", which would automatically un-hide/re-hide archived items to show them in quick search results.
071711.jpg
SilverSound
Expert

Post by SilverSound »

admin wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:21 pm Ok, so you'd like to still have items the same folder they were initially created in, although not always visible if/when marked as archived ones? In other words, the only difference with the regular items would be their archival status?
That sounds correct, when they have the archived status they would be hidden unless a toggle button or hot-key was used to un-hide/show them, and would otherwise be completely the same as a normal item.

Except perhaps they should also get a leading icon like the private items have a lock icon, archived icons could have a filing cabinet or a file box Icon in front of them to easily recognize them when they are being shown.
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

What if we got rid of "public" all together, split private in half, and then made it so each item could have more than one status?

Eg:

Private = Optionally excluded from sync and export
Hidden = Hidden unless shown.
Locked = Requires a password to view, even on unencrypted databases.

So than an object could be marked as any mixture of the three status options.

* None
* Private
* Hidden
* Private/Hidden
* Private/Locked
* Hidden/Locked
* Private/Hidden/Locked