Search filter positioned oddly for mail

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Telesto
Experienced

Search filter positioned oddly for mail

Post by Telesto »

Maybe a pain in the ass, but kind of picky on design and user workflow. The search is positioned to far away (right corner). This might work 'overall' (however I doubt; find it suboptimal in general; except the trouble is mostly 'where else')

Anyhow, I do use e-mail search on regular basis. My mouse is at my mail list (or conversation). I don't want to do 'miles' of mouse movement to reach search. And search is actually a filter (would even say quick filter). And not different from the other filters (star/Contact/unread). So it 'belongs' in they toolbar.

The current approach simply not comfortable
admin
Site Admin

Re: Search filter positioned oddly for mail

Post by admin »

If we place search onto the quick filter bar, it still wouldn't be too much closer as it needs to be aligned to the right. Why won't use a shortcut (Ctrl+Q) to get to the search field quicker?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Telesto
Experienced

Post by Telesto »

admin wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:34 pm If we place search onto the quick filter bar, it still wouldn't be too much closer as it needs to be aligned to the right. Why won't use a shortcut (Ctrl+Q) to get to the search field quicker?
Valid point. Lets add another one. Lets say I have a 30 inch widescreen monitor. Do I really want to move my head to look somewhere else. It's distracting.. You have to orientate more.

It's working for say a browser (Firefox/Vivaldi). If I put something into the search field, I intend to go somewhere else anyhow (new page). So this less of a problem.

And at the start I really was in search for the search box. And please compare few e-mail client, I'm pretty convinced search being pretty in the area of the list containing the emails. And take in consideration that there is a task panel at the left (it could hypothetically filter tasks, IMHO)
Telesto
Experienced

Post by Telesto »

Having more this in mind (see screencast)
Attachments
Record_2021_03_16_10_59_26_812.mp4
(131.89 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Will think about relocating search when we're working on the UI improvements, thanks.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!