Replace empty note text <Give name automatically> by something shorter: note01, note02

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Telesto
Experienced

Replace empty note text <Give name automatically> by something shorter: note01, note02

Post by Telesto »

Having used plenty of PIM managers. You might read this as a person having experience. Or as someone with lots of build-up personal preferences (so personal taste).

However the default note text "<Give name automatically>" really distracting. It's pretty long (people who backspace every character). It's long read slow. It looks ugly. And I constantly read it as some script for replacing place holder Similar to %DATA% or <root>\WINNT\Profiles\<username>

Note01, Note02, Note3 simply works best for me (at most PIM's do it this way)
admin
Site Admin

Re: Replace empty note text <Give name automatically> by something shorter: note01, note02

Post by admin »

If we rename that text to, say "Note01" how would people know that the note's name will be taken from the first line of their text inside the note?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Re: Replace empty note text <Give name automatically> by something shorter: note01, note02

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

Why give option to name note in tree?
A New Note places cursor in first line of note, that says "Name the note" else the name will be "Note1".
1:To give the Note a name just type the name and press enter, it clears the line and names the note, and places the cursor at the beginning of the line, no need to have the name left in the Note. (Could be an option)
2:Press Enter, it clears line one and names Note "Note 1" and leaves cursor at the beginning of line one.
I thank this would be very quick entering a note.

Vic
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

VictorParkerPIM wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:37 pm I thank this would be very quick entering a note.
Sorry that I disagree. :wink: For me the method you suggest seems to me not intuitive. When I am with the cursor in the editor pane (first line of the note) I want to deal only with the contents of my note (the text) and not what should be the name of the note.

If someone wants that the note's name is the text of the first line, o.k. Then he simply has to start to type. But for all other cases it seems to me better that note writing and name giving are two (independent) procedures performed in two different places:
- Note writing in the editor pane.
- Name giving either directly in the tree or in the pop-up window "Note Info".

So to my mind the way it is arranged currently in EPIM is fine.

Maybe that the expression "Give name automatically" could be replaced by something else. But I have no convincing idea for an alternative. :wink: In the end, the "Give name automatically" is quite logical considering what this means as explained above by admin:
admin wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:18 pm the note's name will be taken from the first line of their text inside the note
PS: Perhaps an alternative to "Give name automatically" could be something like "Default" ?? It's definitely shorter but I don't know if it is better understandable for an (unexperienced) user what this means.
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Hi Tester,
You have some good points there, but it is seldom that the first line of a note is the best way to locate a note.
Locating the note later, is the most important thing. The first line of the Note may not relate to the main subject of the note.
There needs to be something that would be easier to remember in the note than what's in the first line. So if you can't remember what's in the first line, then you might as well search for something else in the note.

The way it is now, your mind stalls a few seconds when you first enter the note, about what to name it and then it takes two or three key strokes to put you where you want to be.
Maybe it should be named last, that way a person would have a better idea what the name should be.

We are all trying to make a very good program even better.
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

VictorParkerPIM wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:28 am Locating the note later, is the most important thing.
[...]
Maybe it should be named last, that way a person would have a better idea what the name should be.
Ah, I think I understand what you mean. But that depends completely of the character of the notes. For example in my case the procedure is exactly the other way round as you describe it:

My main database is a dictionary (= every note is a keyword/entry and this keyword is the note's name). So when preparing to add a note I always first decide of its name and then about its contents. That's logical because first I must know which word I want to translate (or to illustrate with examples) and only afterwards I can add these contents. That means: For such notes I always know from the beginning what the name will be.

But of course your are right. The opposite may happen too: If someone starts to write a novel (in a note) he/she most likely will not know its title from the beginning. And indeed in most cases the title will not be the first line of the story (or the headline of the first chapter). :wink:

So when you write
VictorParkerPIM wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:28 am [...] it is seldom that the first line of a note is the best way to locate a note.
[...] The first line of the Note may not relate to the main subject of the note.
I assume you would prefer that the automatical creation of the name is performed in a different way, possibly in a way like suggested by Telesto, with "Note01, "Note02" etc. or something like that.

Well that's a matter of taste. I think for me this would be o.k. too because anway I will enter "my" individual name - either typing it directly into EPIM or copying/pasting it from a MS Word doc-file or importing it with a rtf-file. And I am very happy that this import works excellent with EPIM, including the name. There is no need to modify anything in the name and this saves a lot of work (whereas e.g. when testing "Ultra Recall" I had to modify every name manually after importing .rtf-files).

So whatever may be the "standard" or "default" note name, I only hope that the basic procedure of entering an individual name will remain as it is now. :D
VictorParkerPIM wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:28 am We are all trying to make a very good program even better.
That's definitely right. :wink:
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Thanks Tester, for your thoughts and ideas, I think the users and the EPIM Team will find the best solution for this.