Global search panel

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Telesto
Experienced

Global search panel

Post by Telesto »

I already complained about the position of the filter box being in the the right corner (which I asses as sub-optimal). And suddenly I realized, well 'normally' I use the box at the right side for global search (see MyInfo/RightNote/TreeDBNotes). A quick filter - which the current search box is - should be in the area of the content.

The position at the right should be used for presenting search results. So without filtering out the rest. How these results should be presented is another topic. You could argue typing in the search box opens a panel (MyInfo). Or you can show the results in floating box, with the ability to pin that box to the dialog (so it snaps to the right side)

Not sure if it can do 'find as you type". And obviously prefix and postfix search should be allowed (FFT of SQLite as big issue with prefix search, needs to be kind of full database search, which can become slow depending on the amount of data). And everything should be 'build' with perf in mind. Obviously first elegant code, next optimizing (so to much optimizing while building; creating b0rked code; or at least read somewhere about this principle). But perf is really core.
You will attract hardcore users. These are the best promoters. Not the first time I start looking for something else because performance became an issue (TreeDBNotes/ Rightnote).
Tester
Expert

Re: Global search panel

Post by Tester »

Telesto wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:37 am I already complained about the position of the filter box being in the the right corner (which I asses as sub-optimal). And suddenly I realized, well 'normally' I use the box at the right side for global search (see MyInfo/RightNote/TreeDBNotes). A quick filter - which the current search box is - should be in the area of the content.
I think we have the same or at least similar intentions. My wish (I think such preferences are purely subjective) would be that the search box is on the left side (or can be transferred there) - in the best case on top of the tree. Something like in the following picture:

SF.jpg

But I admit that this has to do with my individual searching needs: I perform often and almost exclusively a search in the titles (of notes). So the most comfortable way is to have the results immediately under the search box.

As the needs of users may be different, to my mind it is the best solution when such parts of the user interface (like the search box) are dockable so that every user can place them where he prefers. I have seen this system with dockable elements at "Ultra Recall" and I liked it. They explain and show it in their User Manual. In practice this docking/undocking is much easier to do as it looks like on the (slightly confusing) picture in their Manual: https://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Manu ... sition.htm

And the good news is: I suggested such a solution a few days ago at BitsDuJour and the EPIM team replied that they have plans concerning this. :wink:

Telesto wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:37 am Not sure if it can do 'find as you type".
I think that "find as you type" is already established for searching in the search box (the one in the upper right corner). Hopefully it will remain, independent of the positioning of the search box.
Telesto
Experienced

Post by Telesto »

Note, not totally what I had in mind here.. This more the 'global search of MyInfo/RightNote (so right panel). You're talking about what in MyInfo is called Quick Filter (and yes, kind of confusing terminology of mine: the search in EssentialPIM acts as Quick Filter).

But I'm with you for the position of the 'quick filter' box (as the screenshot shows). Same request I put in for E-mail: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35842
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

I understand your concern expressed in the other topic:
Telesto wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:03 am The search is positioned to far away (right corner).
[...]

Anyhow, I do use e-mail search on regular basis. My mouse is at my mail list (or conversation). I don't want to do 'miles' of mouse movement to reach search.
Telesto wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:24 pm Do I really want to move my head to look somewhere else. It's distracting..
I do not use the E-mail module but it's the same for me with notes (not only in EPIM but in general in such programs). :wink:

But I think a solution could be found in two ways (perhaps combined):

a) The possibility of docking/undocking elements (like search boxes, panes etc.) (as described above).

b) And in the meantime FireBrand2026 led me to a topic suggesting a filter notes box: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35454 . For my needs such an additional box could be a perfect solution concerning title search.

If b) were implemented, personalIy I would not necessarily need all other search possibilities (note contents etc.) too on the left side. I am not sure if you would prefer to have all of them positioned somewhere on the left. If yes: For this purpose a docking/undocking feature could be of use.