Higher scrolling speed

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Tester
Expert

Higher scrolling speed

Post by Tester »

I don't know if other users have the same opinion. To my mind the scrolling speed in EPIM is a bit too slow (referring to vertical scrolling with the mouse wheel in the editor window). It is definitely slower than e.g. in MS Word.

If others users think in the same way, perhaps the scrolling speed could be increased?

If not, it is no big issue because there are nice programs to change the scrolling speed individually for a certain app, e.g.:

"KatMouse" (http://ehiti.de/katmouse/)
or
"X-Mouse Button Control" (https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMo ... ontrol.htm)

Both work fine but of course it would be better to achieve the same effect without using additional software.
Telesto
Experienced

Re: Higher scrolling speed

Post by Telesto »

True, took a while to find some method do measure.. 1 scroll tick in Word being 2 lines. It's 1 line in EssentialPIM. So a lot more scrolling needed in larger documents.

So yes, this should be optimized in IMHO
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

EPIM is slower, but I like it that way myself. If this was changed I'd like it to be optional.

Now the one thing that I would like to see is EPIM scroll in whole lines, right now it doesn't scroll in whole lines so as you scroll up and down sections of the top and button line in notes get cut off.
dirmansyah
Experienced

Post by dirmansyah »

has been reported here, (December 2020):
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35611
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

dirmansyah wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:13 pm has been reported here, (December 2020):
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35611
Indeed. Sorry, I forgot to search if there are was already a similar topic to mine.

But anyway it is difficult to achieve changes as there are often other users who prefer the opposite. :wink:

As for example:
Rose Ford wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:19 pm EPIM is slower, but I like it that way myself. If this was changed I'd like it to be optional.
I agree that options are always a good solution. And indeed I have already seen software where the user can choose the scrolling speed as he likes. (I don't remember which one.) But it is rare.
Telesto
Experienced

Post by Telesto »

Tester wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:34 pm Indeed. Sorry, I forgot to search if there are was already a similar topic to mine.

But anyway it is difficult to achieve changes as there are often other users who prefer the opposite. :wink:
Certainly true. Even flaws considered a feature by someone. And because of the potential angry mob this makes arguing for changes really hard. Designers UX/developers opting of for the status quo. To accommodate the existing customer or prevent those getting upset.

So have seen - in my opinion -bad changes being implemented. With flaky arguments or sherry picking on arguments (so in case A it applies in case B its somehow different, without proper explanation). Which makes the whole thing so disharmonic. And even worse blocking the evolution of the program. Luckily smaller company's having less people involved in decision making. And likelier do 'bold' things. But large company's with bigger user base and development teams have way to many opinions. Are to much squabbles and internal fights. So it's more 'maintaining' instead actual change.

Insights evolve by change. Mostly someone starting fresh from scratch with 'better' concept. If it get tracking others die out. Take popular Linux distro's. 10 years back, licensed codec 'banned' by principle. Until some developers did allow this (LinuxMint). The OODB was much better, nowadays it's unique anymore. Problem is that lots of good of the old (or fine graininess) is thrown away. So it's mostly inventing the wheel all over again.

As for example:
Rose Ford wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:19 pm EPIM is slower, but I like it that way myself. If this was changed I'd like it to be optional.
I agree that options are always a good solution. And indeed I have already seen software where the user can choose the scrolling speed as he likes. (I don't remember which one.) But it is rare.
[/quote]

In the past when I was less involved in testing I would scream 'optional'. Today it kind of reluctant. Every setting has potential to be screwed up (in a whole or combination of settings), which nobody except 5 uses. The are 'right' when the say it's broken. But most 'tweaks' will end up in 'forgotten land'. So if you adapt to 'new' scroll you at certain point don't recognize it anymore. Surely not for the new users (only the old guard will know) it being different.

And forsake of argument I tendency to say: major players a doing this - harmonic experience across applications - there must be really good reasoning for being different. As surely can be improvement. However scrolling speed ticks are pretty harmonized. And such a fine-grained row by row scroll might be only useful for small amount of content. If you have 10 pages of scrolling this really becomes annoying. For which benefit?

Luckily not me having to make the tough choice. And well personally tendency to do some social experiments once in a while. So asses merits, if valid -> Implement -> Leave it 3 months in place & look at the feedback -> evaluate.
Which could implement 2 rows scroll without configuration capability. And lets see how much angry mob turns up. No revert it for a while - again 3 months - and lets see how many complain now :P. Now you have some data to work with. And people explaining exactly how/or why it broke their workflow.

But well 'some would argue' this not being seen as stable reliable program or indecision of the developers or dislike to be Guiney pig. However personally like changes once in a while. You might never observed/ or realized the the scrolling speed being different.

The scrolling speed did feel little odd, but without clear idea why. A scroll tick is a scroll tick, right?
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

There's quite a lot of debate around here about what's industry standard and why when different suggestions are made, and often well debating people change their minds on what they want/desire to support based on information presented by others.

In essence what you described does happen around here quite a lot too. Small changes are made based on feedback and if few or no one is bothered by the changes they stay around.

In something like this I'd say it tends to boil down to the normal "gold" standard of expectation:

If enough people would like to see it changed then the best option is to try and do whatever WordPad does first to make it feel the most familiar to the average basic windows user.

Which to match WordPad, EPIM would need to scroll in whole lines, and respect the global windows line scroll setting.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

Wow, there is a global setting for scroll lines:
Helper link for anyone else who didn't know about this:
https://www.technipages.com/windows-10- ... -to-scroll

That changes my opinion about their needing to be an option in EPIM for it, now I'm 100% +1 for getting it to work like WordPad/Word, which now scroll slower for me too. :D
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

Fine. - So it seems that we have a suggestion with which all of the participants are satisfied. 8) :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

EPIM already reacts to the above mentioned setting in Windows, although not quite 100% in sync with the number of lines set. Will check if this can be improved, thanks!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

admin wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:40 pm Will check if this can be improved, thanks!
It could! :wink: In version 9.8.scrolling works fine. Thank you!
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

In version 9.9. scrolling speed is unfortunately quite slow again (as it was before version 9.8, I would say). Please could have a look if something has changed in the latest version that could have caused this? Thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sure, will check this, thanks!
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

Tester wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:42 pm In version 9.9. scrolling speed is unfortunately quite slow again (as it was before version 9.8, I would say).
The same now, I assume since updating to version 9.10.7.

Please could you check the situation? Thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Unable to confirm this. Works fine on 9.10.7.