Warning in case of identical note titles

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Tester
Expert

Warning in case of identical note titles

Post by Tester »

I think it would be useful that a sort of warning pops up when I want to create a new note with a title that already exists in the same tree. Something like: "A note with the title 'XYZ' already exists. Do you want to add a note with the same title?"

So the accidental creation of duplicates could be avoided.
Telesto
Experienced

Re: Warning in case of identical note titles

Post by Telesto »

Déjà vu: put forward similar request at MyInfo.
Obviously +1 from me

Mod alert, didn't read the forum policy, but hope this isn't seen as kind of marketing of other apps. Yes, there certainly is overlap, but EssentialPIM is surely excels in other area's
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

All right, will implement this suggestion in the very nearest future. Thanks!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

Please make this optional, one of the great things about EPIM is being able to have a lot of notes with the same name, and it would get really annoying fast to be warned about each and every one of them.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Got it, thanks.
Telesto
Experienced

Post by Telesto »

Rose Ford wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:43 pm Please make this optional, one of the great things about EPIM is being able to have a lot of notes with the same name, and it would get really annoying fast to be warned about each and every one of them.
Related to this: I think it should be more like an info tooltip. Optional sounds like you can it turn/off. Info tooltip holds the middleground (but not clue if this be implemented in a decent non disturbing (but informative) way
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

First of all thanks again to admin for his quick willingness to implement my suggestion.

But I see that his work is not easy with so many different opinions. :wink:

What I did not expect: that even such a "harmless" suggestion leads to reactions that complicate the matter.

First a user tells us that he/she prefers not to be warned/informed about possible duplicates because of having a lot of notes with the same name. I can't imagine that this is a common situation for many users. But o.k. - if the warning can be made optional, no problem for me.

But then another user writes that it should be better not optional (in the sense of turning it on/off) but more something like an info tooltip.

Personally I don't understand why something that I can turn on/off (e.g. by checking a checkbox) would be no good solution in this case.

Let's say I have the options (e.g. somewhere in the settings):
- "A) inform me when I start to create a note with a name that already exists
- B) don't inform me about it"

If I have chosen option A and therefore e.g. a window pops up whenever I want to create a second note with the name "XYZ" asking me directly "What do you want to do now?" (respectively "Do you nevertheless want to continue?" or whatever), this is not disturbing at all for me but the opposite: it is welcome. ;-) It is exactly what I want. An info tooltip is something that can be overseen much easier than e.g. such a window (or any other way of explicit warning).

And if - on the other hand - I have chosen option B I do not even need an info tooltip. :wink:
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

Tester wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:09 pm First a user tells us that he/she prefers not to be warned/informed about possible duplicates because of having a lot of notes with the same name. I can't imagine that this is a common situation for many users. But o.k. - if the warning can be made optional, no problem for me.
Just stopping by to say I have a bunch of notes with the same name too. :D

Quite a few people I know also keep notes like this:

01-Jan
02-Feb
03-Mar
...etc

Or something of the like were you wind up with many duplicate named notes due to being the same for every month/year...etc
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
Shron85
Novice

Post by Shron85 »

I also have a lot of notes with the same names, and don't need to be warned about them.
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

MetalDrop wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:03 am Quite a few people I know also keep notes like this:

01-Jan
02-Feb
03-Mar
...etc

Or something of the like were you wind up with many duplicate named notes due to being the same for every month/year...etc
Ah, o.k. Once more we see how different the needs of the users of such software can be. I did not think of certain cases as your example because I use such programs for completely different purposes: dictionaries, various types of lists (e.g. my movies on DVD, book titles, ...) etc. For these purposes identical names are (usually) completely undesired: If I have already an entry (note title) e.g. for the word "flower" with its translation, a second entry would be confusing. Therefore the automatical detection of possible duplicates by the program (plus warning) is/would be of great help.

So I really appreciate that EPIM's team is willing to implement an option - satisfying (hopefully) all types of users. :D
TumbleDoor
Guru

Post by TumbleDoor »

Tester wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:20 am
Ah, o.k. Once more we see how different the needs of the users of such software can be. I did not think of certain cases as your example because I use such programs for completely different purposes: dictionaries, various types of lists (e.g. my movies on DVD, book titles, ...) etc. For these purposes identical names are (usually) completely undesired: If I have already an entry (note title) e.g. for the word "flower" with its translation, a second entry would be confusing. Therefore the automatical detection of possible duplicates by the program (plus warning) is/would be of great help.

So I really appreciate that EPIM's team is willing to implement an option - satisfying (hopefully) all types of users. :D
We also use a lot of duplicate notes but for entirely different reasons than what's written above.

Mostly wanted to point out to you that despite "personal" being in EPIM's name, there are a lot of business/teams of people who use EPIM for industry reasons and our needs tend to be quite different than someone who is just cataloging information.
Triple S
Expert

Post by Triple S »

@Tester

I mostly use EPIM for book series writing and have a lot of notes named: Ch01, Ch02...etc

I also keep information trees for each series so I have a lot of duplicate notes named: World, Characters..etc.

Then I also have a huge number of sub notes attached to things with the same names to track certain information.
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

O.k. After admin's statements I am optimistic that EPIM's team will find for all of us a good solution. :wink:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I think the best solution at the moment would be to not change anything related to the feature.
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

admin wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:07 am Well, I think the best solution at the moment would be to not change anything related to the feature.
That means that you have dropped again your plans to implement an option concerning this feature??