Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

MetalDrop
Guru

Notes: Drag & Drop Import/Export

Post by MetalDrop »

Drag & Drop import/Export:

Import:
When you drag & drop a .txt, .rtf, .doc, .docx, [any other supported text file] on to the note tree it would automatically be imported as a root note, or sub-note if it was dropped on top of a note with it's file name sans it's extension as it's name.

Eg:
Drag the file MyTextFile.txt into a blank part of the tree it becomes a root note named MyTextFile.
Drag the file MyTextFile.txt into an existing note in the tree it becomes a sub note named MyTextFile.

Export:
If you Drag & Drop a note off the tree to the desktop, or windows file explore it should export to the most well supported file, [I believe is .docx, it's not as common as .rtf, but it tends to break fewer formatting.] or ideally to a file format the user could pick in the options somewhere. Something like: Drag & Drop Export Format: [html|txt|rtf|docx|epim] in the Notes module settings page.

Eg:

Drag a note from the tree out onto your desktop it should be exported as a single file: MyNote.docx

If you drag out more than one note then the standard export dialog box should pop up asking if the users wants to export as single, multiple...etc
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
Triple S
Expert

Re: Notes: Drag & Drop Import/Export

Post by Triple S »

+1 I would use the heck out of the drag & drop import.
FireBrand2026
Guru

Post by FireBrand2026 »

+1 I very frequently import and export documents from and to my desktop, so this would save me quite a bit of time over the long run.
SilverSound
Expert

Post by SilverSound »

+1 This would radically simplify quick sharing, especially if the drag and drop worked anywhere, so I could say drag a note out to a Telegram conversation and send it as a .docx
Shron85
Novice

Post by Shron85 »

+1 you can already do this with email, so it would help improve consistency to be able to do it with notes too.
Filbert
Novice

Post by Filbert »

+1 signed up so I could vote in the polls now I'm going through a couple pages of the suggestion thread to see what I can plus one :D
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

+1 I'm surprised this hasn't ever been suggested before.
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

MetalDrop wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:57 pm Drag & Drop import/Export:

Import:
When you drag & drop a .txt, .rtf, .doc, .docx, [any other supported text file] on to the note tree it would automatically be imported as a root note, or sub-note if it was dropped on top of a note with it's file name sans it's extension as it's name.

[...]

Export:
If you Drag & Drop a note off the tree to the desktop, or windows file explore it should export to the most well supported file, [I believe is .docx, it's not as common as .rtf, but it tends to break fewer formatting.] or ideally to a file format the user could pick in the options somewhere. Something like: Drag & Drop Export Format: [html|txt|rtf|docx|epim] in the Notes module settings page.
Just a question in order to see if I understand correctly what you mean:

Your suggestion is intended as something like an alternative to the commands File -> Import -> Notes -> Text documents etc. respectively File -> Export -> Notes -> Text document etc.? That means the functionality would be more or less the same as with these commands, but the procedure would be different? And it would be an additional feature, with the existing commands being maintained as they are?

[I ask primarily because importing (rtf-)files will play an essential role for me, and with the procedure that is offered now this import works excellent.]
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

Tester wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:54 am
MetalDrop wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:57 pm Drag & Drop import/Export:

Import:

[...]

Export:
Just a question in order to see if I understand correctly what you mean.

Your suggestion is intended as something like an alternative to the commands File -> Import -> Notes -> Text documents etc. respectively File -> Export -> Notes -> Text document etc.? That means the functionality would be more or less the same as with these commands, but the procedure would be different? And it would be an additional feature, with the existing commands being maintained as they are?

[I ask primarily because importing (rtf-)files will play an essential role for me, and with the procedure that is offered now this import works excellent.]
There's really no way this could re-place the normal export/import system. As mentioned by someone else above this request would just bring notes in line to work like how you can drag & drop emails in and out of EPIM as .eml files
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

I see. Thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looks like we not only need to note the suggested feature but also assign it a high priority due to the high demand.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!