Desktop notification or log if e-mail sync sending/receiving failing

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Telesto
Experienced

Desktop notification or log if e-mail sync sending/receiving failing

Post by Telesto »

EssentialPIM has the has the habit of silently failing on/send receive actions. The server is properly configured. It might be:
* an error at the server side
* internet connection issue

However without an desktop notification or a dialog you have no clue about the error code. And well I installed EssentialPIM as new e-mail client for someone I know. Now being the 'support desk/ first contact' for issues, and well I'm starting receiving complains regarding 'not receiving e-mail once in a while'. But rather hard to make any sense of it. Normally I ask to make screenshot of tell me what the dialog is saying. But there is no dialog (it simply doesn't do anything)

And well the (existing) e-mail log files kind of in depth. And more like the simple variant: connected to server XYZ, sync failed: error code (with some basic description). So no internet connection, no dns, connected to IP. server replied (the common stuff) with a (timestamp). Retried on.
Without in depth details about the sync (of the existing log)

And ideally the log being accessible from gui. I'm surely working with people who are less tech savvy: struggle with the log folder and that becomes a problem for unofficial support desk. :wink:
admin
Site Admin

Re: Desktop notification or log if e-mail sync sending/receiving failing

Post by admin »

When there's an issue, EPIM automatically shows the Send&Receive dialog window with the error message shown besides an account that's experiencing problems.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Telesto
Experienced

Post by Telesto »

admin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:29 am When there's an issue, EPIM automatically shows the Send&Receive dialog window with the error message shown besides an account that's experiencing problems.
Thanks for quick reply. Working with second hand information, which makes it surely harder to grasp the issue.
However I do now that the sync doesn't show a dialog all the time (if e-mails are loaded the first time, no dialog will appear, even if sync fails if I recall correctly). So there are cases where this can happen.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nope, there shouldn't be such cases. Also, any errors are always recorded in the log, which you can always forward to us, we'll update you about possible error causes.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!