Check for new messages every not enabled by default

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Telesto
Experienced

Check for new messages every not enabled by default

Post by Telesto »

Follow-up on viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35995

Still looking around for what might be the cause of the issue. I notice that imap pull request 'Check for new messages ever' being disabled (not pre-defined interval).

Whereas 'Get new messages instantly (IDLE support) being abled. Which apparently referring to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAP_IDLE (someone should update the help & screenshots). And not sure if all e-mail hosting company's supporting (IMAP) IDLE command by default (or how common it is)
I'm aware that IMAP PUS being sold as an additional service (which I current refuse to pay for).

But does the wizard 'test' if IDLE is supported? Or simply thinking that's the case. Because the the setting is pretty much buried (you don't get that configuration option in the wizard) Only if you go to Account Settings -> Edit -> Advanced you will encounter it.

So expected the '10 minutes interval' check to be enabled by default, but that's apparently not the case. And that would explain the mystery of not receiving e-mails
admin
Site Admin

Re: Check for new messages every not enabled by default

Post by admin »

I challenge you to find an email server where IDLE isn't supported :) With IDLE turned on by default, there's no need to additionally sync mail every x minutes as this will only place an extra load to the mail server without actually bringing any benefits.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Telesto
Experienced

Post by Telesto »

admin wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:08 am With IDLE turned on by default, there's no need to additionally sync mail every x minutes as this will only place an extra load to the mail server without actually bringing any benefits.
True
admin wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:08 am I challenge you to find an email server where IDLE isn't supported :)
I don't think I pick that challenge :P. As I'm pretty unfamiliar with IMAP protocol and all server side clients (and which features are turned on/off).
However I would speculate the problem being in this this area :wink: That IDLE being supported doesn't mean it works as expected all the time?

However I'm lacking true knowledge of IDLE command. So I'm only guessing around (and hoping Admin being able to enlighten me a bit)

There is a setup phase (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2177)
Result: OK - IDLE completed after client sent "DONE"
NO - failure: the server will not allow the IDLE
command at this time
BAD - command unknown or arguments invalid

Is this included in the log? Haven't see it, but might not looked good enough :)

And next is question how the server 'knows' where to send the push messages too (say IP).
* What happens if you disconnect/connect to a VPN? Does EssentialPIM being aware of the change? And report this to e-mail server?
* What happens if someone switches the user-account (while EssentialPIM still running). Is server assuming 'failure' of IDLE. Whereas when someone switches back to his account with EssentialPIM running, EssentialPIM still assuming IDLE being 'active'.
* And how does firewalls and such handle this (often included in anti-virus software; and not first time causing trouble). A straight forward poll passes the firewall but IDLE being blocked (for example after user-account switch)

And obviously is this logged too?

Yes, I'm can use packet sniffer and meddle around to see of something failing. But well this not to straight forward if I have to include including user account switching.

So prefer asking first, before spending some hours on it :wink:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

IDLE always works as long as the mail server is fully operational. The log file contains only those lines we might find helpful for different type of issues.

Frankly, I'm too not that well familiar with the IMAP protocol. I can ask our developers, however this seems more like a general question that you can easily find answers to by searching the Internet.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!