Opening links with a simple left mouse click

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Tester
Expert

Opening links with a simple left mouse click

Post by Tester »

It would make the navigation much more comfortable if links could be opened with a simple left mouse click instead of the combinaton Ctrl + left mouse click.

According to the Help file, for certain situations this already seems to be implemented:
There are several ways of opening a link:
- left mouse click (or Ctrl + left mouse click depending on where you are clicking on the link from) opens linked item in a separate dialog window
- [...]
Unfortunately it does not apply to my sort of links which are almost exclusively item links (to another note) respectively links to anchors within a note (the same one or another one).

Please offer an option so that users can choose to open links generally with a simple left mouse click. Thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Opening links with a simple left mouse click

Post by admin »

Thanks for the suggestion, noted.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

The help file doesn't mention it yet, but clicking on links with the mouse wheel also works to open them in a separate window.
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

Keldi wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:52 pm clicking on links with the mouse wheel also works to open them in a separate window.
I hope this will not remain as a substitute for opening with a left mouse click. Clicking the wheel is much less comfortable than clicking the button. And to open hyperlinks with left mouseclick is a standard procedure in most programs (either as default or - as suggested - at least as an option).

PS: For my needs it would be sufficient that a link opens with a left mouseclick. It would not be necessary that this happens in a new window. Perhaps even better when it does not, because opening in the main window seems to be performed more quickly.
FireBrand2026
Guru

Post by FireBrand2026 »

As with most text editors with link support you can already ctlr+left click to open links in a new window, or alt+left click to open in the main window.

Making left click always open links without a modifier would make editing text rather cumbersome... In a couple of text editors I've used you could double clicks links quickly to open them, but it was really annoying because it's unstandard and you usually expect rapid double clicking to highlight a paragraph not open things in most text editors.
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

@FireBrand2026:

I suggested an option (and not a double but a single click):

Option.jpg

I really cannot imagine how an option could be a disadvantage for anyone.
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

A single click on mouse wheel works for me on links.
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

Yes, for me too. But I did not speak about mouse wheel but about (left) mouse button. Please read my above posting(s).