Small toolbar like in Word

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Essy
Experienced

Small toolbar like in Word

Post by Essy »

When I select some text in Word a small toolbar pops up with a few options like bold, italic and color. I really like like that and for that reason I would like to see something similar in ePIM Notes
Tester
Expert

Re: Small toolbar like in Word

Post by Tester »

Or perhaps better those options as part of the contxt menu (via right click on the selected text)? Personally I would not like to have a popup (the less a toolbar) whenever I select a text (because primarily I select for copying). I fear this would become annoying.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the suggestion, noted.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Essy
Experienced

Post by Essy »

Tester wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:15 pm Or perhaps better those options as part of the contxt menu (via right click on the selected text)? Personally I would not like to have a popup (the less a toolbar) whenever I select a text (because primarily I select for copying). I fear this would become annoying.
The floating toolbar won't interfere with what you describe because it doesn't pop up when you are actively doing something like selecting or copying. It only shows for a few seconds if you stop actively working on the text.  At least that's how it works in Microsoft Word.

A context menu totally defeats the purpose such a toolbar. 
A context menu as a bonus is fine but if instead of the suggested floating toolbar I would say forget about the request because it's even slower as the current situation. I'm working on a 43" screen and when typing in the lower half it's quite a long distance to the toolbar. A context menu would replace longer travel time with more clicking and scrolling in the context menu time.

Anyway, I'm all for options. Just add context and toolbar. The people who don't like the toolbar configure it away.
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

Essy wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:31 am The floating toolbar won't interfere with what you describe because it doesn't pop up when you are actively doing something like selecting or copying. It only shows for a few seconds if you stop actively working on the text.  At least that's how it works in Microsoft Word.
O.k. I use a very old version of Microsoft Word (2002) - so I do not know it from there (or I have disabled it :mrgreen: ).
TumbleDoor
Guru

Post by TumbleDoor »

Honestly Words little ghostly popup bar is pretty amazing, and is surprisingly not super annoying. I skipped from office XP to 2016 and when I first saw it I thought it was going to be the worst thing ever, but by the end of the first day I was quite impressed. It works very well, and does save quite a bit of time overall. Microsoft did an outstanding job on what could have easily been a disaster.

I would certainly +1 it as a longer term experimental optional off by default feature, because I think it's something that will take a lot of user feedback or a near perfect copy-cat right out of the gate to get right.