Exporting to Outlook ... and ideas re. importing

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

VictorZ
Novice

Exporting to Outlook ... and ideas re. importing

Post by VictorZ »

Max,

Hope the holidays are going well for you and that Santa was generous!

I know this topic came up earlier as a bug report, and I hadn't tried it in the latest beta until just this evening. Well, I can report that when I select to export NOTES to Outlook that it no longer Imports instead :) ... however, although it reports "x notes exported" (or something to that effect) I do not see the exported notes in Outlook. So far as I can tell, they vanish down a rabbit hole. :(

FYI in case it is an issue, I'm running Outlook 2000 (got fed up with weird email issues in Outlook XP, dumped it and reinstalled this previous version.)

While I'm on the topic of coordination with Outlook, I'm wondering whether it would be possible to have EPim filter duplicate entries on import? For example, I imported my calendar from Outlook -- no problem BTW, went smoothly -- and just for grins and giggles, I re-imported a selected portion of the calendar. The result, appointments in that time period were duplicated.

Perhaps a facility could be implemented to filter duplicates -- do a comparison of the item that would be created to existing items and skip if it is an exact match. Obviously if a change was made to an entry in either Outlook or EPim, a duplicate would be created but that's okay -- it should work that way in order to allow the user (me) to decide which one to keep or to consolidate the information into one entry.

Something similar for any import section, i.e. notes, contacts, etc. would, of course, be great. I suspect a common block of code or common fuction would be possible, but I'm only a hack programmer and not up to the level of this product!

In any event, I wish you and yours a happy and healthy new year!

Victor
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hi Victor!

thank you for reporting! yes, all of the items are bugs and confirmed with Beta 3. They should be fixed in Beta 4. Of course EPIM was not supposed to import any items twice, you are correct.

Thank you once more for reporting:)

Happy new Year to you too, thanks for warm wishes:)
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hi,
a follow-up- that still is not implemented in Beta 4, since filtering duplicates would require quite a sophisticated comparison routine, as it turned out...
Maxim,
EPIM Team