Would Essential Pro Network sync my Palm TX with Linux?

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Barry2

Would Essential Pro Network sync my Palm TX with Linux?

Post by Barry2 »

I'm looking for a way to sync my Palm TX PDA with a desktop computer running Linux. Preferably, this would include the functions done by Palm's own desktop and conduits, such as backup and preparing files for installation on the TX. Would EssentialPIM Pro Network let me do this, even though it's designed as server software? I would try this with your desktop software, but I don't see a version for Linux. And if this would work, does it matter which Linux distribution I use?
Max
Site Admin

Re: Would Essential Pro Network sync my Palm TX with Linux?

Post by Max »

Hello,

after you sync with Linux, where the data should be on Linux?
Generally, EssentialPIM is a Personal Information Manager for Windows, though its server can run on Linux data (but data can be access on Windows machine only)
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Barry2

Post by Barry2 »

Hi Maxim,

It sounds as though I wouldn't be able to do what I'm trying to do with EssentialPIM. Your web site says that the Pro Network software has the functionality that the desktop has, so I was hoping that I could view my data in Linux. I'm about to become a refugee from Windows XP, with updates stopping on April 8, so I'd like to be able to convert my computer to Linux and use a PIM that would sync with my Palm TX. The options I've found so far look as though they're not being maintained well, if at all. I thought EssentialPIM might be a solution. As an alternative, I could dual boot my machine in XP and Linux, do most of my work in Linux, record my PIM entries in text files, then, at the end of the day, boot into XP to transfer my entries into the Palm Desktop and sync with my TX. I could also try Windows emulators in Linux, but that might tax my old machine.

Thanks,
Barry
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

I see your point.
EPIM Network has the same functionality, but on Windows.
I am sure there are enough PIMs for Linux. Moreover, you can try running EssentialPIM in WINE in Linux.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
MacLinDroid
Novice

Post by MacLinDroid »

No, no Linux PIM offers local sync and the best of them are buggy, also lacking in features and functionality. We really need to re-think why EPIM cannot be ported to Linux as well. Perhaps reading my other post may shed some light on why it is a critical need: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14990
Barry2

Post by Barry2 »

Thanks for the reply, MacLinDroid. I solved the problem by switching to a nice Windows 7 machine, which I was fortunate to find for free. While there are good reasons to use Linux, support for Palm isn't one of them, so I'm staying in the Windows world for now.