How to delegate tasks and keep insight?

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

logies
Guru

How to delegate tasks and keep insight?

Post by logies »

Hello, I just started with EPIM so I`m still struggling with the basics, I assume. On Outlook with Public Sharefolder I had one public tree of tasks (besides the personal ones of everyone). Each arm of this public tree was assigned to one person and contained her public, recurrent tasks. Only this person (besides the admin) could change a task and mark it as finished for rescheduling. But all ladies in my office could look at the whole tree, e. g. if someone is ill, they could do the tasks for the missing person for a few days. And if someone is lazy finishing tasks, this means everyone can see this. Is there a way to reproduce this somehow with EPIM? I see that I can build task trees, but how setting rights accordingly? Thanks! Michael
MetalDrop
Guru

Re: How to delegate tasks and keep insight?

Post by MetalDrop »

I'm pretty sure you can't actually do that in any good way in the EPIM interface itself sadly.
The individual users can mark things as read-only which will prevent others besides admin from being able to edit them but an Admin can't make an item and mark it as read-only from their own accounts for that user. So as an admin you'd have to log into the users account make the task there and mark it as read from the users account. Which is pretty iffy ways of doing things.

Your other "option" would be to make duplicates of everything and mark them as read-only as the admin.

That said and this is a nudge to the developers more than anything you can do.
Doing it in the database for each item is quite easy:

Example:
The bottom three rows are the example here:
User access is a standard mask system in the database so:
15 = SYSDBA (1) + User1 (2) + User2 (4) + User3 (8) = All (15)
3 = SYSDBA (1) + User1 (2) = 3
5 = SYSDBA + User2...etc
2017-01-21_114942.png
2017-01-21_114942.png (8.26 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
Which is not really practical by any means, but the system can do it quite easily.

So for the developers if they so desired it should be quite simple to rework the current user select interface to handle both masks separately, and also make it so when you use "Add child" the child item inherited the parents read/write masks. Which would make for a very practical and useful system in many use cases.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
logies
Guru

Re: How to delegate tasks and keep insight?

Post by logies »

After about 30 hours of work at the weekend for migrating from Outlook 2002/2003/Public Sharefolder (for 7 people) to EPIM Pro Business I had to solve the problem somehow because we had to go productive - I could not have stand another migration and I understand better now, why companies have problems leaving Microsoft. The delegating function in EPIM 7.21/7.22 ("select users" in tasks) proved to be almost unusable: It lacks visibility. "Selected users" are not shown in lists and cannot be filtered. And when moving a task within a tree structure, "selected users" may even change. And bulk delegating of tasks is not possible. It`s not real delegation, "it is working together on one task and everyone can change and do with it what he wants without a technical enforcement telling others about". (In Outlook every change in a delegated task is reported back automatically.) All problems are showstoppers. But "tags" were the rescue. Tasks can easily be bulk tagged by the initials of the person(s) responsible. And if initially all task are public and then set on "read only" by the person responsible or by the delegating person, they stay visible for everyone, but can be changed by only one person (and the person the task is delegated to can send an email to the delegating person, when it is finished). Tags can be filtered, and changing them should not happen by accident on a hectic day. For the wish list: I would like to save "filters" so that I can set up a set of filters (with a name) I can choose from. I think with some fine tuning here and there (bulk changes...) EPIM is even more capable than Outlook/Exchange, at least for small companies like mine.